Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Are all 6.0s like this?

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  LRTMatt 
#1 ·
I just drove 2 different 6.0s on our lot and both are pooches off the line. Give them 50 to 60 feet and then the boost builds and they run pretty good. One is an 06 4x4 xcab longbed 4-6" superlift and 35x12.5 tires with a bullydog outlook programmer and 4" dp and 5" exhaust. It does run better than the other but not alot. Something is wrong in the steering but it does have wider tires and offset wheels. The other is 05 regcab longbed 4x4 all stock. It steers better but runs like crap (check eng. lite on). I'm not going to buy one, but I was just comparing the two for service. And I was just wondering if they all drove like that.

#3 ·
Yea there is quite a bit of lag (sadly I have gotten used to it) specially if you just floor it from a stop, if you roll into it a bit then they seem to move out a little better.

The worst is when the EGR valve is plugged up and you will roll into it, floor it, lightly push it and no matter what ya get zero boost, no power and plenty of smoke. Least thats what mine did.

#4 ·
It's more learning how to drive the truck than a problem with the truck. On stock programming mine has a ton of lag if you flatfoot it, but if you know how to drive it, the lag is hardly noticeable.

As was stated previously, good tuning will all but eliminate that lag. It's caused by a lack of fuel until the boost level gets up enough to prevent smoke.

#8 ·
Like I stated I'm not purchasing or even thinking of purchasing. The only other diesel trucks I have driven is my father in laws 04 Dmax, my brothers 04 Dmax, and a few cummins wrapped in turds, and my own 7.3. I haven't even driven a 6.4 yet.
And I'm not knocking the 6.0, just wondering if that is the way they are or these have something wrong.

#10 ·
I just blame the EPA for everything now a days. But yes, matt has said it best so far. 6.0 stock tuning is EPA and economy minded. The 6.4s are about the same feeling from the factory, at least when I test drove one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.