Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Common Rail 7.3L?

25K views 169 replies 63 participants last post by  crazystroke97 
#1 ·
Has there been anyone who has tryed doing this type of setup on the 7.3L? I have been thinking and was wondering what people thought about doing this. What is the common problem people run into in doing this setup ?
Would the head's have to be totaly custom made from scratch?

that all the questions I have as for now I will have more later with more input.

thanks steve

#2 ·
You think the cummins guys hate us now, if anyone pulls this off they'll really be p!ssed.

#8 ·
Thats what it will take to get it done with dual CP3's appropriate lift pump, all brackets, hardware, new injector tips, your own copy of EFI live, etc...

I see no reason why head work is a requirement at all.

And if you can locate a CR injector from a 2v head, that can be made to pass the quantity of fuel you intend to burn, then you may be steps ahead on spray angle.

Something 99% of people don't think about when contemplating something like this.
Who cares about spray angle, we just want lots of highly atomized fuel! :poke:

#5 ·
CR injectors are so much easier to fire than a HEUI it's not even funny. The electronics are easy. Worst case scenario you just use any OE CR control ECU of your choice, and appease it appropriately to just go with the flow and think it's sitting on the engine it was designed for. Best case scenario, you build the control unit yourself and do exactly what you want, when you want.

Sleeving the injectors into the head, locating and driving the pump(s) and routing the lines and such is far more work IMO. Plus, the 7.3 has an offset injector that sprays the piston bowl at an angle. It has an offset piston bowl for just such a reason. Does anyone have a CR injector in mind that did not come out of a 4v head where the injector sprays perpendicular to the piston face, directly in the center of the piston bowl?

I just like the consistency of the CR injectors if nothing else. And the ability to turn on/off quick enough to allow for low injection quantities for low rpm/idle situations. Makes for a nice sleeper.

#6 ·
I can post up a picture of on that comes in at an angle vs. perpendicularly when I get home, in a 2V head. Its common rail fuel injection on a diesel tractor. It'll give you an idea I think.

I'm also interested in the extent of the head work needed to make it possible

#7 ·
I see no reason why head work is a requirement at all.

And if you can locate a CR injector from a 2v head, that can be made to pass the quantity of fuel you intend to burn, then you may be steps ahead on spray angle.

Something 99% of people don't think about when contemplating something like this.

#12 ·
I would like to see this happen for cheaper like a kit that could be easily bought. That would be number 1 on my list of things to do along with twins. That would be an easy 8 or 900 HP DD if you built it right.

#14 ·
Its also out of my price range by far.

#27 ·
Thuggy is right thats Hawaiians site. I wish that idiot and his bad advice would just disspear

#33 ·
I looked at this for a long time. CR conversion that is, not rump ranglers.

I finally decided although I might have the time and ability to do most of it myself I certianly don't have the funds for the custom injector nozzles. All said and done the p-pump will produce more power at this point in time. And for anything less extreme a simple cummins swap is much easier.

Even if a cr kit was engineered it would be much more expensive than the p-pump conversion, and at this point in time, won't compete with it.

#43 ·
Just FYI, some one earlier said something about Billy Zimmer/Stroked Out being a common rail. . .

That's not Common rail.

-Michael

#44 ·
ok, let's just say I can have some billet heads made just with the original 2 valve's. would I still have to have the injector tips drilled ? What else would I run into when doing this, is that the only problem with this setup is the injector fitment ?
thanks steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.