Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Tire Question again...

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Semperfidoordie 
#1 ·
Thinking about a set of super swampers, not sure the style or anything but just kicking around an idea... Who has run them? Looking for input on noise, traction both on road and off, and somewhat on wear...

#2 ·
I've had friends run TSLs, SSRs and Iroks.

SSRs and Iroks are the best on the road without sacrificing traction. STS is more road friendly, but only really any good in sand off road.

SSRs and Iroks are louder than say a Toyo M/T or my current Dick Cepek Muds.....but not as loud as TSLs.

They wear quicker than Toyos, MTZs, DCs, Kuhmos, etc..

#4 ·
My buddy runs a set of TSL 37" radials on his Diesel & loves em. They don't wear too bad if you keep them rotated. I've heard of people getting over 30K miles on them.
Another buddy of mine (JohnT) runs a set of the Trxus STS Radials that have lasted a long time. Just don't expect to run through much mud with them. More of a street or sand tire.

#5 ·
I've run TSL, TSL/SX, Boggers, T-Birds and IROK Radials in the past. Don't even bother with any of the bias ply tires. They suck compared to the radials. I had a new set of swampers and 2 of them wouldn't even balance. They had to give me another pair.

The 10-ply IROK's are by far the best Interco tire I've had. Keep them balanced/rotated and air up and they should last 25-30K miles. And they pull like mad in the mud. This is good and bad. Once they start digging you'll be down to the axle really quick. They do OK on sand. Wet traction on the road is better than the regular swampers, but not stellar.

Noise wise, they are quieter than the TSLs and especially the Boggers. Thornbirds have an annoying higher pitch whine. My last set of tires were Ground Hawgs and these IROKs are way quieter than them. All in all I like the sound of these.

I had a friend with the Truxus and I wasn't too impressed. Down on traction compared to the IROK and didn't seem enough more civilized to be worth it.

I knew lots of Jeepers with SSR in college and they were forever ripping sidewalls off road. Those tires are way flexy buy not very durable compared to the other offerings from interco.

I'll be buying another set when these (36-13.50/16.5 IROK Radial) wear out, but that's mostly due to the lack of choices for 35"+ tires for a 16.5" rim.

#7 ·
Because I love my Toyo's... but thinking about the SSR's for Jobsite duty...

#10 ·
I've seen the Cooper STTs & Toyo MT side by side & other than the side walls they are almost the same tire. I run the Cooper S/Ts on mine & they will go through some mud but ride good on the road.

#11 ·
try doing a 305/70-16 same height just a little widder

as far as strength goes the bfg actually comes with a reinforced 3ply sidewall. the side wall cords are 33% stronger than any other, plus a cut and chip resisitant tread compound.. just my .02

#12 ·
Sorry, but IMHO BFG's should be on the H2 just like they are...

in 60K I never had one flat, or any issues with my Toyo MT's

#13 ·
i didnt say anything about the toyos you were asking about different tires, the bfg is different and better than any old swamper......toyos are a great tire. and the hummers come with the an A/T

#14 ·
My Trxus sts have about 35K on them now. Im actually suprised how long they lasted. Im hopin to get 50K out of them, but at that time, they will be complete garbage. No flats yet either. One of the only reasons I run them now is because I didnt have many options, with this goofy ass 16.5X12 rim. Im was impressed with them. I will be getting new rims and tires tho. Probably toyo mt's since i have not heard too many bad things about them.

#15 ·
I am looking for a Jobsite tire, mud, clay, sand, wetland stuff... But something I can run home too...

#17 ·
I'll chime in once more for the IROK radials over the SSR's if you are still thinking about swampers. Thick sidewalls (not easily slices like the SSRs in gravel, shale etc... They market these as their rock crawling tire) pretty good in sand, great in mud (directional, but the still clean out well in reverse. A big plus in my book). These things really clean out well. I've had them on the sand bar at the river, in slit, beach mud, funky gumbo mud... Dang diesel engine weight still got me stuck a few times, but it wasn't the tires fault. They weren't balled up and were still bitting (and digging... gotta learn when to quit and get out the shovle/high-lift). They have siping so their traction on slippery surfaces is pretty good for a gnarly mud tire.

Anyway, for you application I think these are definitely the best choice for the aggressive side of your options. They are a streetable off-road tire, and not a off-roadable street tire.

I did just notice that they really don't come in small sizes. Hmmm... Anyway, i'd stay away from SSRs for construction sites. Their sidewalls are too thin. I've seen way too many sliced SSRs from offroad trips.

#20 ·
SUPER old thread but....since Irok radials aren't offered in a usable size for me 35" size for me and 16" wheels don't clear my brakes so I can't run TSL radials. What swamper would you suggest? I know everyone says no to the TSL SX's but how bad are they? I don't put a ton of miles on my truck...maybe 10k a year and spend a decent amount of time offroad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.