Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Dana 60 2 quick questions

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  f250towrig 
#1 ·
I have a Dana 50 in m 95 F250, and I have found a Dana 60 to replace it.
The guy is trying to sell it for $950.
I asked if anything was wrong with it, he said the things needed replace..
Backing plates
Pinion seals

Where can I find these two things, and is it enough to get the axle cheaper to replace these two?

#2 ·
I bought dana 60 back in February for $900 and ended up spending another $300 in parts to fix it. Mine was "good to go" when I bought it. So I would check the bearings and hubs before buying.

#3 ·
That price is high. You can find them for $700 frequently. I would take anything he tells you with a grain of salt. I would inspect the axle and make your own determination.
If the axle is '95 or newer you can use your backing plates on it.
When he says pinion "seals" he may be referring to the inner axle seals. Changing these requires an almost complete teardown of the axle.
I just swapped in a '91 D60 into my '97. I had to change both inner axle seals, one u-joint, all the steering linkages, and swap in new calipers and rotors due to the brake difference.

#4 ·
Same here, I swapped in a 95 into my 96. Needed all new brakes, u joints, I did not put backing plates on.
I tore apart the steering that came with the axle and cleaned everything and was able to reuse it. Does the axle come with the track bar and bracket? If so plan on new hardware for that and new bushings. Come with 350 springs?

#6 ·
forgot about that. unless the axle is still under the truck make sure you can get it.

#7 ·
You dont necessarily "need" the drivers side u-bolt plate.
You can flip the u-bolts upside down. You will need to notch the center section webbing and make a new top spring plate(about 10 min worth of work)

But the u-bolt plate does make things easier and makes for a "cleaner" look.

Track bar plate is also needed. You can buy aftermarket ones now though.($100)

If the axle does NOT have those 2 pieces, it is only worth 500

#8 ·
I drilled a hole in the webbing on my ford 60 when I put it under my jeep. Was a bitch to get the u bolt through and rotated up. Works like a charm and its a nice clean look, plus on the jeep I wanted the clearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.