Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 Engine replacement

8K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Abrannan19 
#1 ·
2004 F250 6.0L 76K Stock -2 months off warranty.
Faulty injector caused a complete engine failure on the Hwy not towing. anything. Very quickly went from black to white smoke. Ford (Cheyenne, WY) asking for 14.6K to replace the engine. Cab must be removed. Does anyone know the steps to do this? Any help on my situation is appreciated.

Ford - USA no help even though I am helping to bail them out.

#3 ·
if you search enough you can buy another complete motor for about $2K to around $4k sometimes with even the tranny and transfer case...just cause one injector is out, i dont see how that could ruin the entire motor?? you may need a second dealer opinion? keep us posted..

#8 ·
Definitely agree here, lol, that's how I got my project engine. Bought it 7/21/08 off of ebay for $3000+ $425 freight delivery. And that was for a complete 2006 with 20,880mi from turbo to oil pan and pulleys to flywheel including the engine harness but unfortunately it didn't have a FICM which was ok since I had a new one:shrug: They originally wanted more $$$ but I got to talking to the guy and they were having a slow week :D I'd definitely do some shopping around before putting out 14.6k- he!! if you're willing to spend that much though I'll let you have my project engine for 10k...:poke:

#4 ·
I'm gona have to call bs on that one I would go somewhere else and get another opinion.

#5 ·
No BS on this one. I have not had an issue before this. In fact all I had to say about this truck were good things. I live in CO and have had to leave this truck in WY as it left me stranded. Unfortuantely there is only one Ford dealership in Cheyenne. I anticipate haveing it towed to the Denver area for that second opinion. The dealership where it currently is not even recommending the LB engine replacement as they themselves are not convinced that it is a repair that will last. The 14.6 K repair is a crate complete. A local Diesel repair shop that I have talked to since also is suspicious of this "complete failure" but a mechanic working there indicated that he has actually seen this happen. I am just sick about this situation.

Thanks for your responses.

#9 ·
find another dealer i had a customer of mine have some major issues on his 6.4 in wyoming and i believe he had it brought to that same dealer and they are trying to get him to spend like 18k on a new motor they said the turbo blew up cuz the dpf was clogged and took the motor out. had 175k on it and only had 30k on a new dpf. The guy i talked to out thier sounded like a goon, my customer ended up buying another truck to get on the road and his truck had been thier for almost a month last time i talked to him. I would get it hauled back down to colorado to tadd's if i were you

Travis

#12 ·
5 years.. bah.

The guy had a stock truck and the engine took a **** with only 76k on it.

These trucks are ment to last and it should be a unlimited 100k warranty on the engine.

come on ford stand by your work. thats just a BS cop out if you ask me.

#13 ·
#15 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong here..... but if he uses a used engine, unless he using a long block, he'll need a 2003 engine for a ready made drop in...If his warranty expired in Sept he has a 2003 motor in his 2004 truck.

#17 ·
I think that because he has gone this far with no mods, there is no way he will buy an engine that is modded to the hilt for 10K. (What kind of warranty would you give him?)

If the injector tip broke off, you would have a screwed head, piston, rod, bearings from coolant in the oil from the hole in the head or cylinder wall...possibly a bent crank.....who knows how far the damage went.

As far as an injector destroying the entire engine...could happen if all the wrong things happened to the guy...

Like others have said, check Ebay...there is always a complete engine on there.
Maybe now is the time to drop it off at a shop that does Cummins swaps...

#18 ·
Well over on another board that I frequent (FTF) there was a guy that the dealer told him needed a complete engine. One of the resident called BS on it. The member had it towed to the dealer that he worked at. A couple of days later and a new turbo and he was as good as new. I would deffinatly get a second opinion.

Here is a link to the thread http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8519

#19 ·
Well I had a similiar experiance with my '06.. 34K miles and I had a Injector Fill the oil with fuel til it Ran away and Blew the motor.. It was a 12-13K dollar fix by the dealer..But mine was all under warranty

#22 ·
What about the wiring difference, ICP under turbo vs. valve cover?? etc etc??

I always heard you can't....but if you can that makes a big difference to Him.

#23 ·
Never mind, the engine harness pin outs are the same for 03 & 04 but change in 05-07. According to the wiring diagrams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.