7.3 liter powerstroke wont start? Changed Cam sensor/ checked filter still wont start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:30 PM
zach91169
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Angry 7.3 liter powerstroke wont start? Changed Cam sensor/ checked filter still wont start

So i had a problem the other day with my truck latley it has been running like crap and i accidentally ran it out of fuel for the first time ever.. I have a 1999 f250 superduty, with 111,000 miles on it and ever since i ran it out of fuel its been nothing but problems. Extremley rough idle, loud, big power loss, sounds like complete crap, shakes, dies on me, and you can put the pedal to the floor and takes a good 5 or 6 seconds before it feels like its getting sufficent fuel delivered to the injectors... So I changed the fuel filter, I noticed some buildup in the fuel bowl and i clean all of it out, but still runs bad... BUT NOW it wont even start at all, it died on me the other day out of no where, it turns over but wont fire, and ive done everything, i have checked fuses, I replaced the cam posistion sensor, made sure the fuel pump works, made sure there is fuel in the fuel bowl, everything seems fine BUT WONT FIRE... PLEASE HELP ME i am about to pull my hair out i have never had a problem with this truck till now and Its a nightmare!

zach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Dave
FNG
Member's Gallery

Re: 7.3 liter powerstroke wont start? Changed Cam sensor/ checked filter still wont s

Need to check fuel pressure. The pump may work but it may not be supplying enough pressure

06 F250 Lariat 4x4 leveled on 35s

4 inch flowmaster exhaust
Bulletproof diesel egr delete.
Bulletproof diesel FICM
Performance Machine & Manufacturing Coolant Filter Kit

ECM and FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes from Gearhead, Innovative and Wildman
Old 01-03-2009, 09:39 PM
zach91169
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Re: 7.3 liter powerstroke wont start? Changed Cam sensor/ checked filter still wont s

theres fuel in the fuel bowl so i know the pumps working? but somethings not letting it fire, i can turn the key over and it will feed fuel to the filter turns over wont fire...
Old 01-03-2009, 10:32 PM
DIRTBIKEZ
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Are you seeing smoke out the tailpipe when cranking?
Old 01-03-2009, 10:41 PM
zach91169
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

no smoke at all
Old 01-03-2009, 10:42 PM
PSDfan99
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer1014 View Post
Need to check fuel pressure. The pump may work but it may not be supplying enough pressure
SOLD

New truck:
2009 F-350, 5.4L, 4" lift on 35's
Old 01-03-2009, 10:55 PM
zach91169
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

ALSO NO RPMS AT ALL WHEN I TURN HER OVER... EVEN AFTER CHANGING THE CAM POSISTION SENSOR!
Old 01-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Bushwakd
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
Member's Gallery

Check your fuses inside the truck. Fuel Bowl Heater is suspect. I could be wrong but give it a check.
I just went through that same crap last week on two of my work trucks. It ended up being a 30 amp fuse inside the truck at the fuse panel. My guess is your fuel bowl heater is kicking the fuse. The fuse controls the PCM Relay, Fuel Bowl Heater, IDM Relay. I bet you have no Wait to Start Light either on the dash. If you try and scan it you might not have any communication with the PCM at all.

2000 F-250 Lariat, CC, 4x4, LWB,
A few mods to make it better than stock.
250cc hybrids, Stealth stage II HPOP, H-11 Headstuds, Strickly Diesel Reg. Return Fuel, Spearco 6.0 IC, Garrett 38r 1.15 hsg, BTS transmission, Gearhead Tuning
"The Smoke Don't Mean Its Broke"
Old 01-03-2009, 10:59 PM
zach91169
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwakd View Post
Check your fuses inside the truck.
I just went through that same crap last week on two of my work trucks. It ended up being a 30 amp fuse inside the truck at the fuse panel. My guess is your fuel bowl heater is kicking the fuse. The fuse controls the PCM Relay, Fuel Bowl Heater, IDM Relay. I bet you have no Wait to Start Light either on the dash. If you try and scan it you might not have any communication with the PCM at all.

HEy you are right there is no wait to start light on the dash either! i check the 30 amp fuse i believe its fuse number 22 and it looked ok... I also tried unplugging the fuel heater from the outside plugin of the fuel housing...
Old 01-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Bushwakd
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach91169 View Post
ALSO NO RPMS AT ALL WHEN I TURN HER OVER... EVEN AFTER CHANGING THE CAM POSISTION SENSOR!
I even did that and still no start. Then went to the fuse panel after no luck scanning the PCM. I thought Fuel Pump because I drained the Fuel Bowl and the pump would not kick on to fill it because of the fuse to the Fuel Bowl Heater.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 257
/G\EORGE, 01stroke, 02BigD, 1976highboy, 1996timemachine, 19Dually97, 1craneguy, 2000f350v10, 2000XLifted, 35thls1ss19, 7.3Strokin7.3, 700,000 powerstroke, 94powerstroke, 96Crewcab7.3, 96PSD, 97stroker_08, 97WhiteFlatty, ackdog, Adam0331, ajohansson, aklim, altoids, AMB, Arisley, BadDogPSD, baggedbug, bdemutis, bhart, bigbearpowerstroke, bigd4me2, BigRed97, bigtom1, BigTXForddiesel, black4279, BlackHogDown, Blowby, boggerr, bonser16, Boomer, BoomerL37, bpa658, brdmh44, brick, bryan rittenhouse, Bugman, Built4tq, Bushwakd, c todd, camd94234, Capricious, carsmars, catfish, charbro, Chilly420@hotmail.com, Chinosandman, chopper, ChuckD, Cjstiles01, Clarence_Carter, clydesdale, Coltaine, connor926, cota, Country, crawlake, CtG, Cupins, d21067, Dave, davidmhowie, dblamp, Detox, Dieselboy, dieselboyf350, dilligaf, DIRTBIKEZ, Dirtyryder, dixieland-diesels, dogmaticus, doubleshot, dstruble, Dustin F2504x4, dzlj 50, dzlstroker, Edwardmcmorris, Ellisd51, Eric Hammond, EXCAV8TER, F-127, F-350, Family XJ, farmboy8201, fatfender, Fever, Ford3544, ford4life76, FTG-05, gcarpenter, genuineford, golfer, goodstktbo, Greg373, have12, hawkeye, HaysKSFirefighter, Highbeam, Hollywood691, HondaTypeRk20, house2311, indyF-350psd, Iowa 73, ironworker25, Ittidneva, jake_v_03, Jcavers, jeepdaddy, jef1988, jeremyroff, Jeron, JerseyJim, jkeller831, jkmcp45, jmac, Jonathanrayce, joness, JSC, ju015dd, Justincredible, kampinguru, kbrickey47, KissCarsDotCom, Ks94.5powerstroke, locrwln, Longdrive, Luke909, madmatt, mandkole, Maroon Harpoon, Martin #6, marx96, Matikus, MATREDGT, Matt07, matthewd11, mattrac, Matt_P, maxndozer, Mbarrett, mbg75, mddevore, Merlin8188, mguttery, Micah99PSD, mikes_stroker2007, mojo25sxt, mooseracer96, motofreak341, Mr. Jimmy, mspainting, MSTR-P, Mudmaker, nasty96, nater77, NeedaTruck, NorCal997.3, Obspsd7.3, Ohnny101, oldwelder, Owen2002, pat h, Phiber Optik, PitbullOffroad, POWERSTROKE03, powerstrokin44, powerstrokin7.3, PowerStrokingMachine, PSD Dually, psd=junk, PSDfan99, ptm22, racerx103, Ramblin'_Man, RandysPSD, ready81, rebel70, redneckdiesel64L, retired jeeper, retired1, reyn7.3, rick cathers, Ripsaw, roachfam2, rob05, Robert_H, rpm-inc, samiam, saw4sun, Schaefer7.3, schwint11, scott3824, scottbeck, screamin6.0, secondarychaos, SeeYa, Sethward, Shovel, shultzinator, silverslug, Slogging, smith7.3, smokydave, smoore5288, SnowFlake, Southpaw, sparksrides350, Specializeddieselnw, squeak12, storker95, stray cat, Stroker67, strokerfan, Super_Hauler, suprdzlduty, tallpowerstroke, tank23, tbolt, tdrracing, TERRCO, The Struggler, thobui, Tim4, Tinscout, Tipher, tommydiesel, Tomygun, tottav, tubes92, turbodiesel_02, txffemt, TxFire, txpsdcrwchf, UNLIMITED_DIESEL, vazuk, white99, White_knight_99, whitjo, Williams2004, william_04_x, wils2527, Wreckedwolf, zach91169, ~9{0BS}6~