OIL LEAK - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:13 PM
semomotorsports
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

OIL LEAK

I have a 2001 f250 with a oil leak I cant pinpoint. The pass. side down the back of the motor is wet and it is making it all the way down to the starter and to the bottom of the tranny. If I run the truck hard(trailer behind it, driving like its not there) there is little oil spots on the rear diff and on the front of the trailer. It is not like this always though, if you look on top of the motor the valve cover harness plug is wet with oil in that area. I leave very little drops when you park it but it is annoying.
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 09:20 PM
ditch_dawg
Genius, when I drink
Member's Gallery

Re: OIL LEAK

Check out this thread.....

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ad.php?t=20658

Truck Pics

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
blip the throttle, and you just changed your "HPOP" oil

put that on youtube
Old 01-01-2009, 09:21 PM
ironworker25
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch_dawg View Post
315/75r16 Goodyear Wrangler MTR
Straight piped
203 stat and billet housing
Mag-Hytec rearend cover
autometer sport comp guages
170,000 miles
Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 PM
semomotorsports
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

My valley is dry for the most part, I have never left a spot on the ground bigger than a quarter, when you pull hard like I do it looks like little dots all over the rear diff. I was wondering if maybe my valve cover is leaking or crankcase vent problems?
Old 01-01-2009, 09:44 PM
ditch_dawg
Genius, when I drink
Member's Gallery

Might be your turbo pedestal? Check your bolts on your valve cover to make sure they are tight. I had a couple of loose ones when I swapped out my glow plugs. Could be something as simple as that too.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:50 PM
semomotorsports
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

have you heard anything about the crankcase vent issues, I heard you can reroute and hook up a hose to a catch can in the back of your truck. I have never had the valve covers off, but I will check them. It is only wet in the middle of the pass. side were the plug in is and on the back of the head.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:30 PM
ditch_dawg
Genius, when I drink
Member's Gallery

There are a lot of people that run a CCV mod. I haven't done that yet. You can do a search and I'm sure you'll find plenty good info.

I haven't heard of that plug leaking before. Thankfully, that one is pretty easy to get to. Give that area a good cleaning and run the snot out of it and see if you can trace the leak back. Or you can change the o-ring in that plug just for giggles.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:32 PM
semomotorsports
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I have cleaned the area and run the snot out of it and it will be wet like it is now. I cant tell, I think ccv or valve cover, I havent heard of ether giving a problem though.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:04 PM
JimTJr
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by semomotorsports View Post
I have cleaned the area and run the snot out of it and it will be wet like it is now. I cant tell, I think ccv or valve cover, I havent heard of ether giving a problem though.
CCV is driverside Valve cover. Passenger side is the starter. If you clean it, and drive it, but don't drive it a long ways between checking, you can find it. It just takes patience. Clean it drive it a couple blocks, then pull into a parking lot, look good with a mirror and flashlight.... ect...
Since you say the plug on the valve cover is wet too on the passenger side, man, I can't imagine the Intercooler tube having THAT much oil in it... no way.
It almost certainly has to be coming from the cover I guess, if there is NO oil in the valley,,,, Try snugging the VC bolts a tad,,, (NOT much) and they are supposed to be even, so maybe take them all down 1/4 to 1/2 turn? (UNLESS you find one or two much more loose than the others)
Old 01-04-2009, 02:05 AM
semomotorsports
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I will try that, I know I have hundreds on spots on the ground where I park my truck and let it ldle and warm up. I just cant stand it leaking, the motor was always dry. The only thing I have done to the motor is water pump, fan clutch, ldler and tensioner. I had a high pitch whisle pulling a trailer hard. The oil is right there at the boot on the inter cooler tube. If it is in the tube, hows it get there other than blow by? I can remove the oil cap and have very little blow by, its been the same since I bought the truck.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 74
01_F350-SD, 240spoke, aklim, Arisley, BigTXForddiesel, BoomerL37, Bushwakd, caspower, Da Jimmer!, daddystoy, Dantheman, davewild, DIRTBIKEZ, ditch_dawg, doubleshot, dstruble, enenuenue, EVIL OVAL, EXCAV8TER, F-350, farmboy93, fastpowerstroker, Fddriver2, ford4life76, Front Runner, fwbkent, gary02psd, goodstktbo, greasyf250, guzzle, have12, iaff284, ironworker25, JDH, jeromejcp, JimTJr, Joedog, JuststrokeIT, kip4234, kvn555, Longdrive, MasterJake, matthewd11, mazdaparts, mnstroker, Motownfire, mr_kebo, musclehead, n20, nickc, opie977.3, OVERSTROKED, OzPowerstroker, Pwrsmkin7.3, raptor, retired jeeper, Ripsaw, rob10970, rocketron, semomotorsports, sjp649, SledYanker, Southpaw, squeak12, SS317, Super_Hauler, tbolt, tconn, tkdbf350, TWIM, Tygen1, waltenbach, whitjo