Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Replaced steering but went back out in 200 miles

705 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Zmann 
#1 ·
My steering box failed last week. I could steer the truck but when the wheels were straight the front end would just shimmy at even 10 mph. When turning say at a stop light I could slam on the gas and smooth as could be. As soon as I straightened the wheel it just shimmied back and forth. Felt like it was just skipping over a tooth the whole time the truck was going straight. Replaced the steering box and pitman arm. Steering like a brand new truck. This morning though the shimmy is coming back when driving straight. I got steering box from Auto Zone. I can get a free replacement. Is there something else that is the root problem? Ball joints and everything in the front end looks good. What do I check? Is it possible I got a steering box with the same problem and a really bad reman job? Has anybody had this happen to them? Truck has never pulled to one side or the other. Tires have no unusual wear. All stock 2004 f350. Please help.

#2 ·
Jack front of truck up so both wheels off the ground. Steer wheels left or right, doesn't matter which. transfer case in 2wd. Lock one hub, and spin wheel. Unlock 1st wheel and lock the other and spin 2nd wheel. If there is binding, u-joint is toast.

If that checks out ok, you'll need a 2nd person to help. With wheels steered straight, unlock steering but don't start engine. Have assistant sit in driver's seat and steer left and right. Only move steering wheel until it is stiff. You aren't trying to steer the tires, only looking for play in any of the steering components, including hubs and balljoints.
So, while the steering wheel is wiggled back and forth, you will be looking at the tie-rod ends, drag-link ends, ball-joints, hubs, tracbar ends, pitman arm to steering box conection. You will need to feel and look with a bright light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.