Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Who did your studs, and how?

4K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Tinscout 
#1 ·
Simple question really. Who did your headstuds, and how'd you go about getting them done? I know theres PLENTY of people out there, that don't have the cash to pay someone $4k to do it, nor have the means to do it themselves. Soo, how'd you go about getting your studs done? Under warrenty, loan, credit card, etc?

#3 ·
I'm talking parts and labor. Drop the truck off, say I want studs, pick it up a week later. down here in FL it runs about $3500-$4k easy.

As far as the dealership doing it, I haven't found one near me that will do it under warrenty, even if the gaskets go, and you have a bone stock truck, they only install oem headbolts, not studs.

#5 ·
to take heads off and reinstall it calls fro 20-30 billable hours. If you got good gaskets and are just doing studs i would say it could be done for 20 billable hours no problem.

Travis

#8 ·
That's about how much I keep hearing around here.

To the OP, I think I'd make a road trip to save about $1500-$2000.

#7 ·
I've seen the entire cab off job done in less than 8.5 hrs including removing quite a bit of aftermarket wiring. The job paid the tech 23 hrs total. Anybody that has done one more than once should certainly be able to do it in less than 15 hrs. 15 hrs @ $100/hr plus gaskets and studs is still less than $2500. The same tech that did mine quoted me $1,800 labor and gaskets to do the job at a private shop.

These guys that are charging $4,000 for this job or either getting rich or are just plain retarded. That price pretty much better include new heads along with all the other required materials!

#9 ·
i quoted a guy the other day like 3700

that was for head studs
new head gaskets
sendig the heads out having them machined and pressure checked
actually removing the heads from the block and cleaning the surfaces and prepping them
new injector cups
new intake seal kit
egr cooler delete kit
coolant recirculation kit
new turbo seal kit
valve cover gaskets
rocker box gaskets
oil change
and new coolant

Just to give ya an idea

Travis

#12 ·
I had mine done at PDR Diesel one of the sponsors on this site and if I recall the stud job was $1200 but was the last one at that price they went up after that, not sure what they run now. Of course I had other items done at the same time like egr delete and injectors and the total bill was around $3700.

#15 ·
Since you're in FL why don't you pm Adam, member Abrannan19. I cannot remember the exact quote but it was way less than 4k. He is also a sponsor- First Coast Diesel Performance . Not sure about Adam but I've seen shops that will install your upgraded injectors and turbos for free when doing studs since the stock injectors/turbo have to be pulled out and reinstalled anyways :shrug:

#18 ·
I didnt get it.

Jason,

We are located in Jacksonville and we do install studs.

Our price is pretty close to your quote.

BUT in our price we include our full EGR delete kit, ARP studs, new oil cooler, headgaskets, oil, filter, coolant and all the misc parts and fluids needed. We have found that its best to always replace the oil cooler while doing headgaskets and its always a good idea to delete the EGR system, just for longevity. Our price labor and materials is 4100 bucks. The mechanic that would work on your truck is a Certified Ford Diesel Tech for 13 years now. PM me if you have any other questions.

#22 ·
See, I was looking at your full egd delete kit, and its awesome. It'd be awesome to have $4k to do that, really would, because I'd come to you (seen you post on powerstroke.org, gogodiesel, etc. and would def. like you/your guys working on my truck)

#21 ·
I want them done before the gaskets go, my warrenty has another 6 months/20k miles, and the 6 months is def. gonna come first.

The truck has 81k miles, lifted, 5" exhaust, SCT on looney, and runs 50x better than my last 6.0 that was bone stock, with 40k miles which gave me problems.. It's really luck of the draw with these motors, I still don't trust it, and wanna get it under the knife, and get some modding done (turbo, injectors, etc)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.