Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Bare wire in drivers side injector/glow plug connector.

16K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Firedogbme 
#1 ·
I have been chasing a gremlin in my 99 f-550.
Today I had a look at the wire loom from the big connector at the drivers valve cover back to the plug at the valve cover gasket that feeds the gps and injectors on the drivers side.

There is a bare wire in the loom that contains the injector wires. It seems to come from the big connector up to where the wires to the drivers side valve cover branch off, then it just loops back to the connector. I can only see a couple of inches of it and it is a loop, there are no ends.

Can you tell me what it is? Should it even be there? :confused::confused:

I did find where a new connector to the driver's side valve cover had been installed. There was some sloppy soldering on the injector wires and the common ground. I am hoping maybe this could be some of my problem with performance. But I am not counting on it.

Thanks
Hud

Merry Christmas.

#3 ·
Okay, I can do that later today or tomorrow.

I see the metal shield sleeve in there but like I said, there is also this twisted wire about 14 or 16 ga. I think.

Thank you for your reply.

Merry Christmas.
Hud

#5 ·
That is the injector shield ground wire. All the injector wires are bundled together, separated from the other wires; they are wrapped with conductive foil tape, and then the bare wire is wrapped around the tape, and grounded to the IDM. The high-voltage and frequency of the power going to the injectors generates a bunch of electrical noise and the potential for electrical intereference with other systems on the truck.
You should have continuity to ground on this wire, and no continuity to any of the other wires in the harness. I have seen trucks with major fried wiring where melted glow plug wires managed to get into the shield wire...it was a mess.

#7 ·
Absolutely :whs:

Besides fried wiring, there is a particular problem with the earlier trucks having the insulation falling apart on these harnesses. Oil and/or fuel makes jello out of the insulation, and it really does just fall off. Look for that on your harness especially around where oil and fuel might leak in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.