Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Kingpin Dana 60 swap help needed.

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  AK1 
#1 ·
Any one done this swap? I have a late '99. I'm doing more off road upgrades. Got ARB air lockers and new gears ordered. Got to thinking about swapping the Dana 50 out for a kingpin 60. What year truck does one get a kingpin Dana 60 from, that will fit on a '99 F-250? Are brakes similar? I have new rotors and calipers I'd hate to waist. What is a fair price for such a unit? It would be getting new bearings, seals, gears, and an ARB. I would really love to do this swap, but haven't had much luck searching the topic.

Any tips?

#2 ·
It's not worth it, you will loose your ABS and can't use the rotor/caliper/pads. What ARB did you order for the front of your truck? The 99 SRW truck have a solid D50 not a 60. If you want a D60 that will use your existing brakes, you need one from a 99-04 DRW or 01-04 SRW.

#3 ·
Thanks. I did some more searching too. Found out the kingpin axles (that I here such great things about) can't be had in the 8x170 bolt pattern either. They're too old.

#4 ·
You can change the hubs..but I wouldn't swap to a KP.

Find a newer D60 as stated and upgrade the axle using Dynatrac products..we are a dealer.

http://www.dynatrac.com/

#5 ·
Looks like after talking to the budget committee (wife) I can swap to a Dana 60, or get my ARB air locker... but not both. I'm gonna put the ARB in the Stock Dana 50. I want the ARB's ability to turn on and off. I'm building the truck as a expedition rig to explore the country, but it is also my daily driver. I won't be doing anything heavy duty like snow plowing, nor anything fast like king of the hammers, so I'm thinking with a slow careful approach, I should be ok.

#6 ·
"Budget commitee" I like that!
For what you have planned I think the D50 will be just fine. Based on budget I put a solid D44 in place of a TTB D50 (they made a few of them) years ago. It lived just fine with 35"s for years and 40"s the last few years. I tried to be nice to it but it was my mud/trail truck. I don't think you'll ever regret getting the ARB over the D60. I've run Detroit's in the rear, always wished I could justify a front locker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.