Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

New excursion owner. Have a question

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ZBrooks 
#1 ·
We had been looking to buy a 7.3 excursion and finally found a nice one. We are using this rig as our 'family car' since we have 5 kids. I am wanting to do the 6637 and BTM mods asap but not sure of my next step. I am wanting to keep the reliability of the ex but i want it to be as efficient as possible. Most want more power/torque but i want the engine to be as efficient as it can be as well. I talked to the folks at PHP and will be getting the pheonix from them soon. I read somewhere that changing the turbo wheel can increase efficiency/mileage. Can anyone give me some advice on this? I dont mind spending the dough if its a justified expense. The excursion is a 2000 limited 4x4 w/175k. Bone stock, getting around 14mpg. Will be occasionally pulling trailer hauling my tractor.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yes the wicked wheel 2 is what i was referring to. the ex has 175000 on motor/trans. We have been impressed with this truck but want to upgrade it a Lil bit. I have been looking at the true cool Trans cooler as well. Chrgd2000 is absolutely correct.....too many brands to choose from! Would the Trans benefit from a tuner? Shift points changed or optimized?

#5 ·
I love the way my ex pulls, the power, shift points/firmness and the slight increase in mileage the phoenix chip provides me with everyday. I have guages, chip, extra in-line trans cooler, tymar, and muffler delete. Next up for me is t500, frx gen II, wicked wheel gen II w/rebuild, rear sway bar and suspension mods.

#8 ·
Cary that Tymar intake looks a lot like the Ingen ? (think that's the name)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#9 ·
gotta get the air in and out...low restriction air filter and turbo back big exhaust....if you tow any weight get the 6.0 trans cooler and a trans gauge a chip on it will work wonders for the motor...175k is not many miles if the motor was taken care of.

#12 ·
In my opinion, an Excursion isn't worth driving until you get the suspension fixed. It's like floating in a canoe during a hurricane.

I went with a 4" turbo back w/muffler, no cat. I refuse to drive anything with a cat on it. If you're towing, look into the 6.0 transmission cooler and 6.0 intercooler.

Also, search for threads where TARM has commented. He has many, many useful suggestions. Change the oil yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.