Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 Problems

5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  dalpilot 
#1 ·
Truck is an 03 6.0 automatic.

Truck usually sits for a long period of time... and these are the codes that came up.

0341 camshaft sensor
2287 ICP circuit intermittant

The 2287 keeps popping up.

For some reason my AE wont let me do a cyl contribution test.

I did an Injector buzz test and it would buzz like mine does one time... then make a few faint ticking sounds... and then buzz again and then making a few faint ticking sounds and then buzz one more time.

Any thoughts?

truck barely starts, runs like azz when its cold, and seems like it has a misfire even when it's warm.

#2 ·
Check the IPR duty cycle and see what the ICP is at idle Marty. I just got done with an 03 that had the same problems only worse. It turned out to be a leaking HPO line under the valve cover.

Your ICP code is probably either the infamous 03 bad ICP and/or a harness problem from being oil soaked.

#3 ·
the buzz test on the 6.0 doesn't buzz they just click each cyl one by one then cycle all injectors repeat about three times. i agree w/lrtmatt probably icp/ connector. but most times you have a leaking hpo sys you'll get a long start or no start. with the hard start cold followed by runs like crap and seems to clear up when warm i'd say injectors sticking. try the buzz test cold then hot you should be able to tell a difference. also i've change oil but when refilling add 10 quarts of oil and 5 quarts of diesel fuel. run the truck about 200 miles then change oil and refill with all oil. it semms to help "desludge" the injectors. if the injectors aren't sticking bad it will help. but sometimes, if they are really bad it won't help much. it may just get you by for a while.

#4 ·
I have had the 2287 code since April. Replaced:
ICP and harness
IPR and harness
HPOP
Fuel pump
Injector harness

Yesterday I replaced the check valves in the HP oil rails. Too early to tell.

Let me guess, driving along at about 65-75, roll into it and it kicks and bucks like its got a trailer hitch on it shaking? Miss is intermittent but usually about 2000-2200 rpm's? If you nail it, it seems fine? Fuel mileage drops to about 12?

Put it in park, and rev it to about 3000 rpms and hold it. Does it start to miss bad and want to die? My HPOP gauge says its dropping to about 125-250 when it does that. Good luck, its a MOFO to figure out. I'll let you know if the check valves work.

#7 ·
didn't do anything other then turn the AE on and realize it won't do a cyl contribution test.

It's pretty evident it's got blown gaskets, and probably everything else related known to man. Truck uses so much coolant it's not even funny.

Truck still runs strong though once it's warm.

#8 ·
Have you pulled the EGR valve to see if the cooler is the source of coolant loss? Most times the head gaskets on a 6.0 don't fubar bad enough to dump tons of coolant. Have you tried clearing all the codes and then running the KOER test? I know AE seems to be finicky about running some of the tests on a 6.0.

I would definitely start with a new ICP and maybe even the replacement harness is that looks to be a problem.

#9 ·
Well the cab is coming off, we're doing the EGR delete, headstuds, new gaskets and fuel system all at the same time.

When he does that, we'll replace the ICP sensor and I guess cheap insurance would be the harness as well.

I cleared the codes and the ICP code kept coming back. I did the KOER test but it would move a little and then say failed. Same thing on the Key off test.

#11 ·
Well if you are tearing it down that far, you will have a good chance to check the HPO system. Put shop air on the system and check for leaks. The 03 HPO system sucks compared to the later versions. If the branch tube (STC fitting) is bad, you almost can't replace it without the heads off, so now is the time.

Pull the HPOP cover and take a look at the tube that runs from the HPOP to the branch tube. Ours had been rubbing on the cover pretty bad. I couldn't confirm that it was leaking but it was cheap enough to replace while we were in there.

#12 ·
I replaced the check valves in the oil rails yesterday,a dn today, it ran great. I am not going to say its fixed yet, because I have said it before, and it wasn't. Weird thing is, when I started it this morning after changing the ICP, IPR and ICP pigtail, and putting in the check vavles, it threw a 2285 code. It did it yesterday once when I started it after replacing the drivers side check valve. Air in the system maybe???? If I go in again, I am going to put the air to it.

#16 ·
hi this is my truck we r talking about and i had it at the dealer for a oil leak they said it was the icp which i figured anyway they changed and no more leak yes it does run like crap till it warms up than it runs like a raped ape when warm. it gets horrible fuel milage now and goes through a ton of coolant like marty said

#19 ·
replace the icp sensor, youll find it full of oil where the connector goes in, dont worry about the harness that plugs into it, ive put in probably a couple hundred of them damnn sensors, as far as the buzz test, it buzzes them all, then each individually, then all of them, etc. its normal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.