Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Leaf to coil conversion without a lot of lift

20K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  MilehighEX 
#1 ·
Anyone do this using say the stock coil suspension on the newer trucks? I don't want 6" of lift, but 2" wouldn't bother me. Just curious. I'm wanting to ditch the D50 and apparently the later trucks went back to the D60. A Dynatrac hub conversion is $2K and is nice but still has the smaller R&P, so I'm thinking a wrecked donor truck might net me the D60 axle and coil suspension for the same cost.

Waddayathink?:D

#4 ·
Suweet! I formally announce status as "looking for 05+ front suspension and axle".

Has anyone done a writeup on this anywhere?

Edit: Clicked on your link, I guess you would know!:D

#6 ·
Cool, I like bolt on. Any noise about alignment issues from those who have done it?

#8 ·
Driveshafts ,brake lines, trying to adapt the new style steering box and a whole bunch of other nick nack tedious stuff. Let me know if you need help. I have it on mine.

#9 ·
I just completed this conversion myself , I had a 2000 F350 2wd and used a 06 front axle with a BDS 4-link. It looks like it would be just as easy to use all factory components if you did not want to lift it. I also used the 2wd sway bar which is twice as thick and will still bolt in. The Problem came when I needed to bolt on the 05 gearbox, the frame is about 1/2 inch thicker on the 2000 than on the 2005 and up. The factory bolts for the 05 gearbox are bigger and they are not long enough to go through the frame, I used cut off 6.0 powerstroke head bolts (I guess they are good for something afterall). I also had to buy a new gearbox to brake booster hose. I just rebent and reflared my brakelines, And using the 05 coil buckts nearly everything just bolted on, only had to drill 5 holes I think......

Just my two cents.........

#10 ·
I have a 2000 F-550 4x4 that I would like to convert over to a coil set up. I would like to put about a 4 inch lift on it also. I don't want to replace the front axle as I already have a dana 60. The coil suspension should give me a nicer ride correct? Where can I get the parts I need to do this? If I can get everthing the way I want it on this truck I am going to get rid of my Dodge. I've only had it for two months and it has been in the shop twice already. If it wasn't for the 4.88 gears I would be driving the 550 now (I think I have figured out where to get the parts for a gear swap now).

#21 ·
where are you from? theres a shop in Richmond Virginia that does the leaf to coil conversion quit often... Davis Offroad, he just used an '05+ dana 60 so i'm pretty sure he would take yours in on trade beacuse he sales the 04- axels for a pretty good price. you can check out some of his work at www.davisautosales.com

and randy's ring and pinion can help you out the gear swap on your 550, i'm getting my parts from them to take the 4.88's out of my 450

#11 ·
If you are wanting to convert it for the ride quailty I would just use some drop hangers to lift it instead of a coil conversioin, A coil conversion would be rather expensive with your exsisting axle, 2500ish, at least, for that kind of money your could put a new 05 or newer axle in hnte truck that would turn sharper also.

#12 ·
I plan on putting a 05-07 front clip on the truck. I like the look of the wider front axle too. A better turning radius would be a huge plus. What would be needed to swap to a 05 front alxe with 4 inches of lift. I need a dana 60 for my 97 F-250 will it work under this truck if I swap out the outers with the Dana 50 that is currently under it?

#13 ·
To put a 05 or newer axle under your 2000 you will need the following,....
Axle from 05 or newer
coils
coil buckets (new from ford 40.00 per side)holes already there
steering gearbox....a p/s hose.....3 14mmx2mm pitch 5.5 inches long(not factory bolts...to short)
radius arms and brakets
all steering componets, tracbar, swaybar.

I bought all axle, radiousarms, springs, gearbox, from salvageyard for approx. 1700.00

Then whatever liftkit you desire.......Probably another 1500 ish or more depending what you want.

#14 ·
I kept my factory steering box(because the 6.0 one is weak and it sucks) and machined out the pitman arm to fit the new drag link. Also the old driveshafts not bolt up due to a different flange on the axle.

#15 ·
We have good axle shop on Denver. Machining the pitman could be an issue. Could I pay you to do it if I supply the part?

#17 ·
Now that is interesting.

#24 ·
ive also noticed for failures with the 05+ steering boxes but never knew what caused that. I know the 05+ trucks do not have the ease of the steering wheel that the leaf sprung superduties ahd, but i attributed that to the wheels turning further with the same amount of rotations of the steering wheel, which would make it lose leverage. also on the 05+ trucks, you HAVE to use a new pitman arm nut every time you remove it, or it will constantly come loose.

#27 ·
the 4 link kit is make for coil over shocks bilstien, fox, suck-a-way, makes them for that. so that can add a pretty good amount to the kit a set of good coil overs are gonna run ya around $800

i think by the time you do all that and get the kit i bet you could find the donor parts. ive been wantin to find a donor axle for my wifes truck i have all the parts except for frame brackets and axle. ive been thinkin of sendin my axle to dynatrac to get widened for a better turnin radius

#28 ·
FYI I have been planning this conversion on my 2004 but have another conversion I have to finish first. I have a complete front end from a 2006 F250 from front frame rail back to lower control arm brackets with rotors, hubs, axle, steering box, and linkage that I can part with and it may even save my marriage.

Has 3:73 gears with 50,000 miles for $1250.

Also have a complete 2004 setup if someone needs a leaf spring setup. Also includes everything for $850, add $450 for matching rear axle.

Or if my wife leaves me I will have two 2004 setups for sale and continue on with my 2006 conversion.

#38 ·
i could go faster if i could get traction:tree:

#39 ·
BigBore...did you complete the conversion? How did it go?

#40 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.