Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Still showing ubsurd delta after TONS of work. Could this be the scan tool???

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Snake 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

I have found one other case of this and am trying to figure out why! I spent the entire weekend tearing into my engine for the first time, and put in a new factory ford oil cooler, a IPR gen 2 egr delete with up pipe, and did a thorough coolant flush (before i put in the new cooler) with 2 quarts of Ford coolant flush for the recomended 10 min., and then 2 quarts of VC9 in tap water for an hour, then rinsed out multiple times with straight water. I refiled the system with 50/50 Ford Motorcraft premium gold coolant and distilled water. I took my time replacing the other parts making sure i did everything right, and the truck runs better than ever. I went through an cleaned tons of caked on carbon and coolant out of the intake (slight egr cooler leak I think). My problem now is that before this all my deltas, read with a OTC Genisys scan tool were off the charts high at 60 degrees, and I, not knowing anything, thought that I just had a really really clogged cooler, but when I cut it open it was clean, granted i did flush with vc9 and a ford coolant flush.
Now my deltas are showing in the 40s range with a new EOT sensor. I found one other post similar on another site, where a guy got high deltas using the same scan tool, but they were only 2 degrees with a snap on scanner. I don't think my oil could get that hot (240 degrees) sitting still at 1250 rpm with no load. My got is telling me that the scanner is a liar.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with the OTC Genisys

See less See more
#5 ·
Use an I/R temp probe right on the oil temp sensor. That will get you close. But as said earlier if you are hitting 240* at 1200 RPMs , you have some kind of a major failure. I assume you are seeing 200* water temp? Also the best test is look at your temps (air,oil,coolant,trans,intake manifold) after a cold soak, they should be a couple of degrees of each other. You may have a wire resistance problem to the PCM giving you bad info. When I get problems like these I usually hook a scope to read the sensor and look for a bad or dirty signal. A small dual trace works great and you can get them for less than $200.

#6 ·
water temp goes to 190 and the thermostat (new) kickes open and the temp returns to 184 and holds. oil temp gets to around 240 and then goes down to 238 when the thermostat kicks open. When I checked it at work at lunch it started reading at 100 degrees for the coolant and like 130 for the oil after a 4 hour soak, which is why I am leaning towards a bad reading. Everything in the system should be clear. today after work i will check it with a IR and see if i can borrow the scanner to check in the morning.
lenzhotrot,
I don't know much about checking electrical and what a scope is or what dual trace means in this context.

#7 ·
To test the EOT sensor, you need to let the truck sit longer than 4 hours. The longer the better, but EOT and ECT should be close to ambient temp. Many will say at least 12 hours.

#9 ·
TRY ANOTHER SCAN TOOL!! My OTC genisys version 2.0 has this same issue. On my Harley truck oil temp was showing 240F and coolant 190F. On my STC my oil temp was at 195F. There is some weird issue with some of these OTC scanners.

#11 ·
Sorry about giving the in between info first. I couldn't do a cold soak test because the scanner is from my work, and I couldn't take it home. I did however take the truck to the shop next door where a guy owed me a favor, and had him look at it with his Launch scanner and it showed the temps at 184 ECT and 174 EOT when the truck had just warmed up and the thermostat had opened. which says to me that something about the OTC Genisys makes it read wrong. I picked up a infrared thermometer at sears and looked at the temps of the EOT and ECT sensors from the outside a few minutes ago after driving home from dinner, and I got 195 for ECT and 204 for EOT so I think I am doing pretty good. This was after running 50mph home about 20 min. and the motor was still warm from driving to dinner.
I will continue to monitor the temps under different conditions, but for the time being I think that this is a pretty good indication that the Genisys was giving me bad data.

#13 ·
For a lot of reasons, I'd recommend buying some type of monitoring solution. Edge Insight, ScanGauge II, or Dashboss.

Glad to hear that it was likely a bad reading and not an issue with the truck.

#14 ·
Ive had good luck with my genisys for the cylinder balance tests, buzz tests, and glowplug KOER tests. But for whatever reason, it reads oil temp hi when warm. On the 7.3 trucks it will give me two oil temp readings. One will be fairly close to coolant temp, and the other will read 30-40 degrees higher than coolant. On the 6.0 trucks, it will only show one oil temp pid. Starting cold, its fairly close to ECT, but as the engine warms up, the oil temp creeps higher and higher. I narrowed it down to scanner after plugging in to my Harley truck and my brothers Harley truck. Both were reading 185-187 ECT and 240-250 EOT. The SCT showed 190-195 EOTs on our trucks. I think its a calibration issue or maybe there is an update in the newer software for these OTC scan tools.

#15 ·
i now know which scanner not to buy lol

#16 ·
Snake I plan on getting a sct livewire ts to monitor my temps and so I can tune the truck up later, after i have the studs done and everything else necessary to run more power without a problem. my coolant filter is coming in the mail as we speak along with new banjo bolts. Do the factory bolts really cause problems with injector failure, and will the new bolts require anything else to go with them other than new washers?

#17 ·
Once you remove the factory banjo bolts and compare to the 6.4 bolts, you will see why the 2holes and checkvalve could be an issue. And its just a good practice to replace the washers instead of reusing the old ones, to prevent a leak.

#18 ·
In 8 years I have yet to hear of an injector failure caused by the factory banjo bolts. I also have yet to hear of even a 1 hp gain by replacing the 6.0 banjo bolts with those from a 6.4.

#19 ·
Are there any negative effects of changing them? I ordered them because they were a cheep little thing I could do in a few minutes, but I just want to make sure there are no negatives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.