Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

buying a 05 need some advice?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  ParkerFly 
#1 ·
Im looking at buying a 05 cc sb 4x4 6.ohh and i have herd some things they are prone to doing like EGR leaks blown heads and turbo's.. If i wind up getting this thing i plan on using it for a daily driver hauling my 30ft trailer.. but also whant a toy empty show off purpose's you know box exhaust that kinda thing but i whant it to handle the abuse ..what would i have to do to fix the common problems ?
thanks

steve

#2 ·
Just did the ARP studs from Diesel Innovations, regulated return fuel system from ITP Diesel, full egr delete from First Coast Diesel, and some miscellanious items from Nate at Performance Truck Products. Logan and Chad from Cen-Tex Diesel Performance did an EXCELLENT job of "assisting" :hehe: me with the install of everything. Got it all back together today and am VERY happy with them all. :D

Used to be I would hammer on it on the highway and you could smell a little bit of coolant. Now all you smell is some burnt ass. LOL

#4 ·
head studs and egr delets are the big ones. This comes from someone with stock headbolts and runs a race tune daily. also did not mod the egr system either. Im waiting for something to happen under warranty then have them put the studs in

#7 ·
sweet they need to sell a care package for these things LOL
steve

Some of the 6.0 places do. I'm pretty sure Adam at First Coast Diesel does, Empire probably does too.

#6 ·
how much are studs and egr delete i found them both for right around $750 for both is that a pretty good deal on the 6.0's i dont know much about the 6.0.

#8 ·
Sounds about right.

#9 ·
I just did ARP studs in mine,replaced the turbo at 55k with a stock one (my fault one night), and plan on doin a full EGR delete...Im runnin a SCT from Elite and beat the truck on a daily basis drivin to work and pullin a 24 ft car trailor...The only other thing would be some tranny work to help it take a beating.

#10 ·
i wouldnt worry about the trans. Everyone I know around here has had the trans hold up until faster than 12.5 second passes or around 550 horsepower. I think browns diesel is 385 for arp's shipped. I think a full egr delete is around 880 with a deposit. If that price includes adams full delete its a steal. If it only includes a sneaky pipe I think beater deals could eb had. What I do is call around and find the best price I can. Then i call a sponsor that matches prices and if they match the price I would give them my buisness. That way you get to support a sponsor and get an awesome deal.

#11 ·
sounds good im going this weekend to test drive it and trade my suv in he whants 13,500 for it, it has a total of 130,000 on it crew cab sb i just whant it to match "THE DEMIZE" they look identical LOL..sounds stupid but ohh well

#12 ·
Get the VIN off the truck and you can get an OASIS report in the OASIS section of this forum. It'll tell you the history of repairs/maintenance done on the truck by Ford.

#13 ·
I've got an '05 for work, it's been worked hard and has 150k miles. Here's a list of my problems so far:
Bad front wheel bearing
Blown turbo
Multiple EGR valves
Homemade water injection (bad egr cooler)
Head gaskets
Finally got the EGR welded up and went with studs.

Justin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.