Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Need 6.4 engine

5K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  co04cobra 
#1 ·
Im looking for 6.4 engine for cheap and i mean cheap need to run good and idk if it comes with turbos or not needs injectors pistons all internals hpop hpfp heads just need to start and run down the road i can make payments if needed i want a complete motor

#7 ·
Lol, never seen a 6.4 with a hpop either!

#9 ·
Yea man not trying to bust your bubble, but if you want cost effective or cheap. Probably need to ditch the diesel. Esp. CR diesels.

I have a 6.4 engine complete, but the cost of it or any is a small down payment on a house.

#11 ·
NEVER buy a used 6.4. A shop that works on my truck does several REPLACEMENTS. Every month. Massive failures rods, rod bearings, main bearings, cam bearings, engines filled with fuel......and many under 60k. Even after deleting they see failures. We need reliable trucks since we haul these new rv trailers and they said under no circumstances would they recomende a 6.4. One truck had three engine failures in 175k. They now have a source for warrantied engines, complete with install kit for $8,5000!!!!! Then there is the fuel system......all that easy hp comes at a VERY expensive price. Drive through oil country and you will find ALOT of blown 6.4 motored trucks cast aside by the oil companys.

#12 ·
Easy buddy, there's a ton of us that have 6.4's that are fine, you HAVE to delete them but after that with good maintenance most are great. Plus all the new diesels are a different animal then they were 5 years ago because of all the new emissions. The new ones are even worse

#13 ·
I personally LOVE 08-10....but hate seeing them dead ALL the time in the shops around Elkhart/Goshen Indiana. We work our trucks something bad.....6.4 simply don't hold up. There is a reason only a handful of companys reman these engines and offer a real warranty of 1-3 yrs unlimited milage. I drive 5-7k miles every week. Can't be losing motors. But boy would I love one.....all that style and power.

#15 ·
Proven reliabilty???? Really......there have only been a handful of guys on this forum reporting milage over 150k. I speak from first hand experiance with our company alone having 500 drivers delivering new rv trailers. I can count on my hands and feet how many 6.4 trucks in our yards. Well there are two Fummins. Lol some of us run 200-240k miles a yr. That sir is proven reliabilty. But I would still love to find one under 30k mi for cheap. My running partner sold his 00 with 1,385,000 miles. Another late 99 has 2,000,000+

#25 ·
Mines got 200K on it, and over 600 hp to the wheels. These motors are a lot newer than old 7.3's and 6.0's so comparing how many miles you have on your 7.3 is like apples to razor blades. Buying a used 6.4 is perfectly fine, the issue is people who do not know how to maintain a newer heavily emissioned diesel motor. Oil changes should be done more frequently due to oil dilution from regeneration, egr systems fail regardless of make more model on diesel motors as well. There are a lot and I mean a lot of people who have never owned a 6.4 or 6.7 for that matter that make false assumptions about them because they don't really understand the newer technology diesels. Another caveat to this is when hear say from a buddy down the street whose dad has a friend whose uncle works on diesels said that his neighbors truck is a pile of junk, these scenarios pop up all the time on the forums and just cause further misinformation and confusion. I say if you don't personally have any experience with it or own one or work on them, don't add to the misinformation and confusion with hear say.

#16 ·
I'm not trying to start a pissing match, but you won't be able to buy any new emissions diesel, no matter what brand, and run them that many miles without a major failure, period. Thank our government for that one.

#17 ·
Congrats, the 7.3 has been around for 20yrs, the 6.4 has been around for 6. The '00 and '99 you mention I'm sure are both forged rod engines, people forget about all the pmr failures. And yes, the 6.4 built right is proven power and reliabilty, that's why people don't run egr, dpf or even a cat on the newer trucks. Btw, I don't recall ever hearing of a 7.3 that has put down 13xx/20xx on a stock bottom end? The 6.4 has

#18 ·
We have 6.7 cummins 3 yrs old with stock everything 600k+. 6.4 is a freaking power house no doubt. Issue is the extreme common catastrophic engine failures.....even after all emmisions shiiiet is removed. And it is stock and modded trucks.....failure doesn't seem to discriminate. But to the original poster.......spend the $3-5k more for a new/reman motor.

#20 ·
My 08 went to the ins salvage a week ago was a rollover. I can check and see if it is still avail. They wanted 6k for a buyback on it engine still ran great had it checked out at the dealer .

#22 ·
That is wat I'm sayin I released it to my ins last week. They have the truck but will be auctioning it off at salvage. I can find out when and where if you are interested. I am interested in some of your aftermarket stuff as well. Text is probably best way to reach me (719) four three two nine seven four five.

#29 ·
Like my post said had the engine checked out at the dealer before it was totaled. I drove it home the engine is fine. The truck runs and drives just a ton of body damage. The truck is at clody's slavage in Denver, only way to get it is to buy it at the auction. Wish I would have seen your post two weeks ago I would have kept it for ya. Wish I was more help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.