Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6R140 in a 2000 Super Duty

12K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  TW Bouska 
#1 ·
curious if anyone here has swapped in the newer 6R140 from the 11-present super duty's into an older one. long story short i do diesel for ford and my 2000 super duty 4x4 (7.3) is getting to being on its last legs. since it is my only car at the moment (don't wanna share cars with the better half, schedules are too hectic) my hope is to find a good core to have bench built so the swap only takes me a couple hours at work. we dont have any 4R100 cores in the shop but we do have one of the 6r140's laying back there. I know I'm for sure looking at a new custom drive shaft, but im more concerned about the wiring/programming side of it. i dont have a ton of aftermarket knowledge with the super dutys aside from the banks stuff which i install pretty often. any help on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Wiring is a piece of cake compared to everything else that needs to be done. Expect to build a harness from scratch. Remember that this is the easy part.

Next easiest part is making an adapter to mate the 6R140 to the 7.3L engine. The trans doesn't have a bellhousing that will mate. Any extremely capable machine shop should be able to fabricate one for not more than a few thousand bucks.

Now comes the fun part! What are you going to use for a computer to control the trans? If you want to use the Ford computer you will need to design and implement a CAN (Controller Area Network) in the truck. You'll also have to design and fabricate a new computer for the engine since the stock PCM doesn't have the capability to send the information over CAN that the trans computer needs. Don't forget the all new software you'll need, too.

Maybe some aftermarket company will come up with a basic computer that will do some shifting. I don't know of one that can operate a 6R140.

#4 ·
Buzz kill!

No, it would be pretty slick setup but your gonna have to make everything from scratch as you will probably be one of the first to do it.

If you do decide to do it make a bunch of them and sell the setup, get your money back.

#3 ·
Mark, thanks for the reply, you basically answered all of my questions, if there isn't currently anyone who makes the harness and computer for this kind of swap thats mostly plug and play, its going to cost more than I want to spend. The bellhousing wouldnt be an issue as I have a buddy who can fabricate just about anything (does amazing work, he fabricates parts for oil rigs)

So for my next question, I will go with rebuilding the 4R100. WHAT kind of modifications do you recommend that I make while the trans is torn apart? Valve body? planetaries? The truck is used for towing sometimes, but mostly as a daily, I don't beat the crap out of it, but I don't baby it either. I won't be ever running more than 400 horsepower out of it either.

#5 ·
I would love to do it if I had the time to take on a project that big, unfortunately the problem I have is that I work 6 days a week on everyone elses super dutys and I have no other car to drive while the truck would be down. Once I get some bills paid off though and don't have to burn the candle at both ends, maybe I can take on this project, it would be awesome to be one of the first to do it though!

#7 ·
yeah totally...the only thing i have going for me right now is the free core. lol

#10 ·
Good one, LOL.

#9 ·
lol yeah i know that one too...like hey free jet boat blah blah blah only thing i wanted off of it was the stroked 460.

#11 ·
what about a gear vendors with the 4r100? anyone done this? what kind of mpgs are you getting?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.