Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

In desperate need of help

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  mike t. 
#1 ·
This is my first time every asking for help so please bear with me:
I have a 97 F250 psd with 285000 miles on it and have had only minor problems with her until tuesday. She was running fine then started running rough and lost power and acted like it was only running on a few cylinders. I pulled over and shut her off and that was it. It won't even start now own its on, but it will start on ether and sounds bad. I have checked the mega fuses,
it has oil, a brand new filter with good diesel, the filter bowl fills up and the tach moves when you crank it. This is my daily driver and i need to get it back up and running, any advise will surely be appreciated

#5 ·
harness plugs are tight and only about 4 months old. i pulled all of them to make sure the connecting pins were not burnt or melted. I changed the valve cover gasket and injector/glow plug wiring harness on the drivers side 6 months ago it might the passenger side this time but it does not act like it did with the injector wires burnt like last time.

#8 ·
The WTS and SES lights come on then go off like regular. The code reader starts up then you hear relays clicking in the ouside fuse block and the starter solenoid clicks , the wait to start light comes back on and the reader flashes and starts over

#10 ·
No it does not have a chip she is plan jane.. But here is one for you!! I am on the third code reader, it is 88 here in texas and the truck will start on it's own after a couple of seconds of cranking it ,still runs really rough though. With the key on the scanner shows no codes and when i crank it the reader starts it process and after 7 sec. (i clocked it ) the truck shuts it self off and the wait to start light comes back on .

#13 ·
Two of them were the cheaper auto parts style scaners but the third was of higher quality and will read a cummings ( know thats a cuss word here) but still nothing.
But i have found the problem as the truck ran longer the the first wiring harness connector to the vavle cover started getting hot and smoking so i pulled the vavle cover and the injector/glow plug harness is melted. but the plugs on the harness and outside were not melted and that threw me off. So i will see if this is the fix. Any advice on how to make it easier to get that back bolt started and thightend. I lost two swivels takeing it off and a lot of praying

#15 ·
Yes Sir. we usually use a rag soaked in gas even on tractors but in nowhere texas every farmer has a can and i was desperate. I can't afford a rod sticking out the block or in my body.. Thank you, i do take your advice whole heartedly though. I belive you and my father would get along just fine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.