Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Making Your Own Headlights

5K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  Capt. Obvious 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to "bake" the headlights and take it apart and repaint it? Im thinking about trying it?

Any tips or warnings?

#3 ·
THANKS!!

#4 ·
How the heck do you get the old headlights out? Whats the trick here?

#5 ·
#6 ·
#8 ·
#10 ·
#11 ·
Are the headlights glass or plastic?

#13 ·
That sucks, I had mine in the oven for 8+ mins at a time, I did have a sheet of tin foil under the lights though.

#15 ·
I never put mine on a sheet either. The key is to make sure that the oven is preheated for a while.

#16 ·
#17 ·
That sucks. Maybe try a heat gun next time? I don't really know, I've never had that occur when i worked on my headlights.

#18 ·
Wouldn't it be easier just to get them from CT Performance? Cary does true HID conversions also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#19 ·
#21 ·
I haven't seen anyone do 03-04s, I've only don't 05+. Are they OEM?

#22 ·
Ive never seen anyone do 99-04 either...

and when I did my 08 headlights I did 140* for 6 minutes at a time. And I didnt use a sheet under mine either

#23 ·
Feel your pain! I bought a set of '05 takeoffs a few years ago for $200, followed the instructions and pulled them right apart but then made the mistake of putting the lenses back in the oven to soften up the glue. They frosted and melted like yours... Quickest $200 I've blown in a while, did "force" me to order a set on-line. Live and learn!

#25 ·
#28 ·
I did my 08's at 275 for 15 minutes each...just have to watch it closer....and use a glove lol but it worked awesome. I painted the surround and reflector in mine.

I have a set of 05-07's I'll let go pretty cheap. OEM headlights

Chad

#29 ·
#30 ·
It's easier to hit me up on here bud. I'm overseas right now.

Chad

#31 ·
regulator. whered you get that grill from in the pic above? its awesome and i want one in white. the one that says ford in big letters

#32 ·
#33 ·
how much was it? and whats his name on psn?

#34 ·
#36 ·
On the older trucks, the adhesive is usually too old to soften when you bake them, so you'll need to carefully cut the headlights apart with a Dremel. I tried baking the lights on my '04 when I did a bixenon retrofit, but it did no good.

I resealed them back together using a clear silicone adhesive/caulk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.