Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6spd swap no start

9K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  hakandeniz_ 
#1 ·
did 6speed swap in 2003 6.0 truck, truck wont start. changed pcm, tranny harness. Tried searching didn't find what i was looking for. Thanks.

#2 ·
Did you jump the nuetral safety switch? or bypass it?

#5 ·
Swapped clutch and brake pedal. The plug for the clutch pedal wiring was tied up under the dash thankfully. Not really sure what to think at this point.

i was hoping to find a thread about someone else's swap. But no luck.

thanks.

#6 ·
When I helped a budy do this swap on a 97 the trans harness that plugs into it had 2 wires that needed to be jumped/tied together in order for it to crank.

#8 ·
Its probably looking for the automagic still and thinks its being started it drive, I would bet on it being a small wiring issue
curious to hear the fix when you find it

#13 ·
The manual tranny harness was swapped in. However is the neutral safety switch located under the dash in link with the brake pedal or where is it located? Also what is a good website for wiring diagrams. I sure thought someone on here would have done the swap or know somethin bout it. Hmmm..... not that common i guess. I do appreciate the help thus far.

If so, the neutral safety switch or whatever it may be called is in link with the brake pedal it has 5 wires to it. make sense?

thanks.

#14 ·
The nuetral safety switch..Is more of the Clutch Pedal is Pressed switch.. Its on the linkage from the clutch pedal to the master cylinder.. I generally take them off and wedge a piece of dowel in there so i don't need to press the clutch pedal down to start the truck

#15 ·
to bad charles won't post, hes swaped out a manual and would most likely have some useful info, however as said above the saftey switch I would imagine is in the clutch petal assembly not the brake.

#16 ·
When you hook up electrical connections not previously used, be sure to count the pins in the plugs to make sure they're all there. some are just like a 4-7 way trailer plug adapter. just because there's a spot for the pin to go, doesn't mean there's a wire there. you will have to trace these through the entire harness. When a buddy & I converted an excursion to 4x4 we had to go manual shift because of the complexities of the auto 4x4, even though all the plugs were under the dash for stuff. it was either that, or take out an entire harness from a 4x4.

#19 ·
No nuetral sensor in the trans, I can start mine in gear with the clutch pushed in. That's the intension with the clutch, that it will be in nuetral when let off. However some may have it, but I know my zf6 doesn't

I do agree with swaping in a manual trans PCM!? Has that been done

#20 ·
did 6speed swap in 2003 6.0 truck, truck wont start. changed pcm, tranny harness. Tried searching didn't find what i was looking for. Thanks.

and the wiring for the clutch pedal was already in the cab harness. there is power to them it wasnt just a dummy plug..

thanks for the ideas. i guess i'm still suprised that there isn't more info about this swap. do a lot of people go from 6spd to auto? or just buy what they want?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.