Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Ford first diesel to hit 9's?

10K views 35 replies 32 participants last post by  TRUBBS 
#1 ·
Apparently...

according to various sources Max Legold created the first 9 second diesel pickup out of a IDI 7.3 back in the early 90's.

so...

Putting my investigative work to the test I e-mailed Hypermax.

I got this:

Re: indirect injection 9 second diesel from the early 90's‏
Sent: December 5, 2008 4:44:29 PM
To: Jordan

We did build a coupleAll the info was given in the article it was an inline pump with 2 turbos Thanks

------Original Message------From:
Jordan Greenling
To: info@gohypermax.com
Sent: Dec 5, 2008 10:00 AM
Subject: indirect injection 9 second diesel from the early 90's

In a diesel world article it said that Max Legold (sorry if I don't have the correct spelling) built a hotrod Diesel truck that made huge power and did 9 second passes the engine was orginally ment for sled pulling but got banned and then became a drag racing vehicle. I just wanted to know if this was correct and if I could get information on it.

So it was P-pump twin turbo 7.3 IDI.

putting the investigative work a little further... I found pictures.

Apparently the engine was so unreliable as it was never designed to do this that the block flexed so much it needed rubber freeze plugs.

so to all those that say Fords arent fast.... yes we are.. we where the first to the 9's.

See less See more
#17 ·
Max LeGod doesn't have anything to prove to all the johnny-come-lately's in the diesel pickup crowd. They were building 2000hp 466's when all you diesel newbies were ####ting in diapers.

Way back when, there was no diesel class at the truck pulls. Diesels pulled in the gasser classes. LeGod whooped that ass so many times they made him pull exibition.

#12 ·
This Hypermax diesel was mentioned in Diesel Power not to long ago. Same issue that had the history of the powerstroke, and the history of the IDI's. They ran the same story you did, banned from pulling, so it went to drags...

#13 ·
i thought that looked like byron dragway!!! i think it could be done with a powerstroke with a p-pump. imagine if the superstroke motor was put into a drag truck....it should run good.

#20 ·
did that truck blow freeze plugs like crazy? but either way i think its a great idea and it would be amazing to see what they could dotoday with a truck like that

#27 ·
I think they taylor more to the all out pullers and drag racers rather than us moderate guys that still daily drive our trucks, thats why we don't hear so much about them...

#28 ·
That was great. Thanks for sharing that. I have always been IH to the bone! Kudos to Hypermax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.