Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

towing egts to high???

5K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  LRTMatt 
#1 ·
hi i'm a newbe and this is my first post.you guys have been a great source for info for my 04 6.0l powerstroke.my question is how can i get my egts down while towing with my 6.0l powerstroke. i have a 04 f350 crew cab dually 4x4 auto w/4.10 gears-mods include arp studs,banks 6gun with speedloader,ddp 90hp injectors,ddp modified vg turbo,level10 tranny programmer. the truck works awesome but while towing a 32ft travel trailer up the interstate 70-75mph the egts were 1200-1250 and would easily hit 1300 with a small grade(banks warning keep going off).is this to high and if so what are my options to get them down? thanks in advance-john

#34 ·
Intercooler may help a bit..
:whs:A good intercooler makes a noticable difference, especially when towing. I've only used the banks one, but it works great. It was good for an easy 100F drop across the board. I use water meth as well, but it can be a hassle. If it's not freezing, it's nice to run straight water, but you'll need a larger tank (like 7+ gallons) or you'll be filling up before every hill. The Snow Performance mpg+ kit is nice because it comes with a 7 gal. tank, is very tunable, helps a little with economy, and does help with egt's.

#14 ·
What do you know about towing anything... i dont think you have ever had anything hooked behind your truck.

Anyway, as mentioned I would recommend a custom tuned program for your setup.

#8 ·
If you're EGR cooler is still service, she won't last long at those temps. I've killed 2 EGR coolers at continuous temps much lower than that. Once the EGR cooler fails and starts to cause the engine to overheat, you don't have much recourse sometimes when you are towing a heavy load. Gaskets really fail easy when the engine is overheated especially when towing a heavy load.

My advice would be first to get custom tuning to really dial in those injectors. The Banks stuff is usually conservative but it can't compensate for the extra fuel those injectors are dumping. A good custom tow tune would help a ton with the temps. Water injection may not be a bad option either.

#11 ·
#12 ·
It doesn't matter how new the EGR cooler is, that extreme heat is going to pop it sooner or later. I fubard my last one towing with EGTs never exceeding 1150* and that was with a freeze plug blocking off the exhaust flow to the cooler.

SCT is the way to go and as far as tuners go I would recommend Eric @ Innovative Diesel as my first choice. Doug with a company I probably can't mention here is good with tow tunes also. The custom tuning can be tailored to make those injectors work for you and not against you. You have to remember that with stock tuning those sticks are probably dumping more fuel than the stock ones did with the Banks cranked up to at least level 4.

#15 ·
I wonder if that aftermarket turbo you have isn't really moving enough air for those injectors. Got any specs on the turbo and injectors? Brand, model, etc...?

#18 ·
the injectors are ddp 90hp and i also got the modified vg turbo from lenny at ddp as well-and yes level 1 on the banks is stock. i talked with ted at innovative diesel today and he's going to have eric make me custom tunes with the sct tuner-performance tow, steet , and extreme street, anybody running these tunes and how do you like them? ted says the tow tune should take care of my egt problem-thanks john

#20 ·
John, that will solve a multitude of your problems!

The one thing people don't take into consideration when buying a chip is future modifications. That chip (banks six gun) is only setup to run with the stock parameters, meaning stock injectors and stock turbo. When you modify that turbo and injectors the Six gun wont compensate for that new mods, its just starts dumping fuel, and doesn't control the turbo.

This is where teh SCT is best, its great for a stock truck and whne you decide to upgrade turbo and sticks (you have don that) you get some new tunes to handle the more fuel and turbo spool up.

Once you get that SCT you are going to want to stomp on that six gun and smash it to pieces once you see what the SCT will with your larger sticks and modded turbo..its will be a MAJOR improvement.

You can ask Eric or Ted when you go larger sticks and a modded turbo, its highly recommended to remove the EGR system, because like said above, it wont last long with aftermarket sticks and turbo..it barely holds up to the stock sticks and turbo. I can help you out with that, when/if you get ready.

#26 ·
HEY GUYS I ORDERED MY SCT TUNER FROM TED AT INNOVATIVE DIESEL-I ORDERED THEIR TOWING , STREET , EXTREME STREET TUNES AND I RECEIVED THE TUNER TODAY BUT WASN'T ABLE TO GET IT LOADED INTO MY TRUCK NOT SURE WHAT'S WRONG I'LL TALK TO TED TOMORROW. SOMEONE TOLD ME THAT SOME TUNERS JUST SEND YOU THE BLANK SCT AND EMAIL YOU THE TUNES. ANY IDEAS?? I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT TED SAYS AND HOW THE TRUCK WORKS AFTER I GET THE TUNES LOADED-THANKS JOHN

#29 ·
where are you located?

for a person with average mechanic skills it would take around 6 hours to install the full kit,its well worth it though. Its not real difficult, there is just alot of stuff that has to be removed to get the intake off. I supply a step by step instructions booklet for removal if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.