Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 cold weather MPG

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Sader 
#1 ·
Whats yours?

Mine was around 17 when I first got the truck and i was driving 60/40 hw/city

and now with all this cold weather its down to 15 40/60 hw/city

I do a little more driving in town now, but i didnt think it would drop my MPGs by 2.... truck seems to eat more fuel first thing in the morning.

Just curious to see how the cold weather has affected others 6.0 MPGs.... and yes it does get cold here in FL, supposed to be 28* tonight.

#2 ·
Idle time greatly affects 6.0 mpg. I don't know if FL is one of the states that gets winter blend fuel but I know here up north the winter fuel also really whacks your mpg. I see a 1.5 to 2 mpg decrease in the winter months and I usually don't let it idle much at all. I plug the truck in to keep from needing warmup time.

#6 ·
last winter when I had stock sized tires I got about 15 average with the winter fuel. It was warm the other day up to almost 60° I think but has been mostly down in the low to mid 30's and on a couple of mornings been in the high 20's

Mines not even liking to start, AGAIN :doh:

#9 ·
I don't have any cold start issues with the Premium Blue 15w40 but I sure did with Rotella. The Premium Blue Extreme 5w40 is even better but it's expensive. I have the inductive heating flash also and that helped a ton but the oil really does make a difference.

#10 ·
Yea thats what I have heard. I did notice the other day that my oil leak appears to be back. Had it back last winter and when it was in the garage they said it was just the o-ring on the oil filter. Well don't seem to be the case since its dry as a bone up top and there is a slight drip coming down the back and off the bottom of the bellhousing on the tranny. Also turbo needs cleaning but I don't think that is giving me any problems other than a lack of boost on the top end. Just cleaned the EGR the other day and it was clogged SOLID, so glad thats all cleaned out.

I would love to switch it up to synthetic as well as put in a bypass filter but both of those may weight till the warmer weather.

#13 ·
Here is a copy of the TSB for the flash, http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20264&d=1224205096

Basically if you hear a buzzing from the engine bay after you shut the truck off then your truck doesn't have the inductive heating as part of its strategy. I believe its part of the FICM tuning. Instead with the inductive heating flash you will get the buzzing when you first turn the key to the on position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.