how does a glow plug relay work - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > F-250 & F-350 1986-1997 & Other Ford Trucks > 1994-1997 Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:10 AM
winkfab
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

how does a glow plug relay work

how does a glow plug relay work? what powers it or turn it on and off?
IDM mod, .427 sonnex valve, rsk w/sd springs, grease able 4x4 lever,Rosewood stage 2, T-500 hpop,1.0 ex housing
These trucks are like crack, you just can't leave it alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2008, 01:20 AM
moore20017.3
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: how does a glow plug relay work

The pcm grounds the circuit iirc. You have 12v constant to it and then to the plugs (the large posts) then you have the two small control posts. Based on input from the oil temp sensor. Above 1?? it is not activated. There is also different run times based on input temperature, max is 120 sec iirc.

Just like a starter relay works.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:47 AM
Dieselfever
2010 BOB Points Runner up
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever Send a message via Skype™ to Dieselfever

One small post has key on power(12+ v), the other is grounded by the PCM to control it. One large post has constant battery voltage to it and when the control side has it activated it connects battery voltage to the glowplugs(other large post)

It is activated everytime your key is turned on, no matter what temp your engine is and will stay on after your WTS light goes out in colder conditions. You can see it stay on after the WTS light goes out and battery voltage will be low for a few minutes and jump back up.

-Michael

1997 F350: Regular cab XLT, 7.3L PSD, 5 speed, 4x4, 3.55 - Some Stuff
2000 F350: Crew Cab, Lariat, 7.3L PSD, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.73 - More Stuff
2001 VW Golf: 4 door, GLS, 1.9L TDi, 5 speed - Darn near makes fuel!

Old 12-03-2008, 03:52 AM
winkfab
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

So it shouldn't matter which post the small wire go on, as far as the ground or poitive (trigger wires). I put the new relay on and it didn't click or connect the circuit untill I put a ground wire to the wire it sounds like comes from the control moduel which should be the ground. I hooked it up (while it was still somewhat warm and went 2 miles to the gas station and when I came out it would not start. It would spin over great like ther was no spark so to speak. I unhooked the power from the key hot on the relay and it started. What would cause this?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:32 AM
stdcabFords
Built without your taxes
Member's Gallery

Send a message via MSN to stdcabFords Send a message via Yahoo to stdcabFords

is it bad when it takes me 2 cycles to start at around 45' or colder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillin View Post
The way it comes out of the hole all up IN the spray in the first video above screams HOLY TRANSMISSION BATMAN....
Old 12-03-2008, 09:40 AM
stdcabFords
Built without your taxes
Member's Gallery

Send a message via MSN to stdcabFords Send a message via Yahoo to stdcabFords

not to mention the (what i call) exhaust brake goes haywire at cold temps and makes me what to shoot myself having the exhaust cut right under the cab. hopfully a new temp gauge sender will fix that.

now back to your scheduled glow plug discussion
Old 12-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Dieselfever
2010 BOB Points Runner up
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever Send a message via Skype™ to Dieselfever

Just unplug the EBPV.

As for what winkfab described, does yours have the little weatherpack on the 2 control wires, or are they directly to the engine harness?? One of my trucks the relay was not working and it turned out to be the small weatherpack harness on the relay being bad.

I don't know about the unhooking the key on power from the relay and the truck starting, sounds like coincidence maybe?

-Michael
Old 12-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Bugman
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

You might want to check and see if the new relay that you bought is a case isolated or not. There is a difference between a starter relay and a glow plug relay in that usually the starter relay only needs one hot wire and no ground where the gpr needs the hot wire and the signal wire from the pcm for the ground. Also make sure that your batteries are fully charged as this will cause problems if you have been cranking on the starter and have drained them down.

Jim
96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
Old 12-03-2008, 06:02 PM
FTG-05
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

On another GPR thread somewhere recently, people were very adament to NOT use a starter relay as the GPR. Grounding through the case would be one issue, not sure of others.

Most people are using the Stancor 586-902 12v or 586-903 15v continuous duty relay as the replacement GPR: http://www.stancor.com/wrdstc/pdfs/C.../Pg_056_57.pdf
Old 12-03-2008, 07:19 PM
winkfab
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I got a glow plug relay from the international dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 88
00POWERSTROKE777, 0joey0, 444-4D, 64Diesel, 97crewcab, 97_f250_7.3L, 99F250Smitty, Adinas95, Archery Hunter, BBrianR, big adam, Big K, big*diesel, BigRed97, Bradbilt, brinkprop, Bugman, caspower, Centxdiesel, chrismartintx, Coachscott, cowboy_dan, cpdad93, crowz, Deerezilla, Dieselfever, Diesel_Dust, DozerDan, drake162, EverettWV, F-350, firehog2, ford2go, FTG-05, godofdew11, Grama, greenbeast, Greger96obs, halerazor, Hater04, huffracing, iaff284, ihatelaramie, ironworker25, Jeep1947, JNave458, john.s.hammond, John_DeereGreen, justin8341, kb1, KMurakami, kvn555, Lonnieford, macgyver5150, mikesuperduty, moore20017.3, my92issues, nashvillebill, npen, Patrolman, pjwoolw, PSDfan99, psdmike, pslover, qcfarmer, reptillikus, Ripsaw, rogerm311, rpm-inc, RSP, Shovel, smokyred, spokanepaul, stdcabFords, stroked350, superduty00, superdutyfarmer, Super_Hauler, The Fireman, tjbeggs, tls390, TNScrambler, Tom S, trenner101, troublemaker2927, venomusduck, winkfab, zilla68