Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Help! elusive transmission leak 5R110

12K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Power Smoker 
#1 ·
I've been trying to get my truck back on the road for the last little bit, and every time I turn around, I run into a new problem. Just before the old engine blew, the tranny developed a bad leak from the bell housing area. With the engine removed, We saw the stator (on a new pump) was cracked all to pieces, supposedly from torque, and the seal was bad on the pump to the hub on the torque converter. While the engine was out, we replaced the pump with a brand new one, and of course, a new seal. Got it all back together, and it pours a steady stream of ATF when the engine is running.:confused: It dumps about 2.5 qts in 10 minutes. I checked, and the seal is good. The pump gasket is in place. there's no fluid wicking onto the outside of the converter, as far as I can tell. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

#2 ·
did you replace the pump bolts also?

#4 ·
i can't rember if they are the same as the 4r100 but the bolts and the little washers should be replaced also the little washers have a teflon like coating and it don't take much to mess em up

#6 ·
Well, it turns out that the hub on the converter cracked, a very small, hard to see crack. When we pressure checked it, stuff came out everywhere. The converter's off to ATS, and I should have it back and fixed by the weekend. I should have the compounds done by then too, so maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to drive it again.

#7 ·
congrats on your article in diesel world thats an awsome truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.