Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

F-650 Dash (machinist needed)

4K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Road Hammer 
#1 ·
Huge favor needed...

I tried making the metal panel for the Carling switches. Gonna "Man" up and admit that I can't do it. Looking for someone who can. Need a 3 switch panel made from aluminum or stainless. Mounting holes need to be pre-drilled. Can anyone make me one of these ?? Or know someone who can. Buying one from RiffRaff isn't an option.

I'm down to this piece before the install.

#2 ·
#3 ·
They won't sell you just the metal panel with the switches.

I already have the dash piece.

#13 ·
Yes they will but its expensive and you have to send them your dash

#4 ·
I bet if you called him he would...

#6 ·
I'll try on Monday. Thanks for your replies.

#5 ·
A home machinist can't touch this price
just tell him you want to reconfigure your set up

3 Slot Switch Plate w/ Gauge Hole
3 Slot Switch Plate w/ DP JMS Hole
6 Slot Switch Plate
9 Slot Switch Plate +$26

#7 ·
This might work.

I'll keep you posted on the answer when I call them on Monday.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Carling makes a switch holder that will hold 3 switches (don't remember the model number, but I did get them from digikey). I have two of them, and this is the panel I made with the dimensions. The picture is of a thin aluminum template I made initially, once I was satisfied, I traced it onto stainless.

Total top to bottom: 6 1/4 inches
Total side to Side: 3 3/4 inches
Spacing of holes: 1/4 inch from edge
Top bar: 3/4 inch
Bottom bar: 3/4 inch
Center bar: 1 inch
Width of opening: 3 inches (start smaller, it's easier to make it bigger)
Height of opening: 1 7/8 inches (start smaller, it's easier to make the opening bigger)

I don't have a ton of skill, and this was simple. A few notes though. If you opt to go this route, you will have to cut a bit of the plastic on the f650 dash. The width of the Carling 3 rocker mount is slightly larger than the opening on the dash panel. I used a dremel for that part, it only took a couple seconds. I also wanted a center bar to show a bit, but you could easily make it smaller.

I haven't gotten my switches with custom rockers in yet, so it's not very pretty right now. But at least this will give you an idea of what I made. Hope this helps out a bit.

#12 ·
Well, I called Riffraff this morning. Told them I wanted to upgrade my already 3 switch panel to a 6 switch panel. I would also need 6 new Carling switches and a 6 switch wiring harness. I was told to E-mail them through their website and request what I was needing. The guy told me since I already had their product installed there shouldn't be a problem. He then also told me to send in my old switch panel for credit. HUH !! I told the guy I wanted to keep the old panel. Then he told me to just e-mail my request in.

So I guess we'll see what happens.

#19 ·
right

so I don't see the need to send the actual dash just to buy a switch plate ?
they already admit this wasn't their brain child
So where was it said he had to send his dash in? I see it was mentioned he could for a credit, not where he had too...

#15 ·
Because they require you to they won't sell u just the switches, at least they wouldn't sell them to me a month ago

#17 ·
Thats to avoid the inevitable "its the wrong color" crap that always happens.

Clay has the best Customer service in the industry.

#21 ·
Well, I sent them their message yesterday and still nothing as far as a reply. I tried calling them again and of course I had to leave a message.

Has anyone ever called them and they answered the phone ?? Or do they screen the calls with leaving a message ??

tick tock tick tock.......

#22 ·
Hahaha yes, but it does take a while to get a hold of em. I ordered the f650 dash panel and 9 switches 3/4/13 and did not get it until last week. They did have a new baby about the first week of march, so I am sure they had their hands full.

#23 ·
I've called Clay a few times this year, normally if he doesnt answer I'll get a call back within 3 hours.

#24 ·
That's who talked to was Clay. I asked to purchase a 6 switch panel with the harness because I wanted to upgrade from a 3 switch setup. Said that's not a problem. I also ordered a regulated return and a t-shirt. Hope it gets here soon.....

#26 ·
Everything showed up in the mail yesterday. Switch plate, switches, regulated return and t-shirt. Guess you just have to let them know you want to upgrade your setup even though you don't have a setup. Worked for me.

It's not over though.....

I now have to "Hack" the sides up of my F-650 lower dash panel to accommodate the switches. It is not wide enough. It's never going to end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.