Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Damm 6.0s at it again

16K views 87 replies 22 participants last post by  Machinist 
#1 ·
Another one bites the dust.

<<<<< AFTER COOLER ENGINE SIDE
now this is cleaner then before but when i first pulled it off a quart or so of oil came out. i also understand the engine vents threw the turbo system.
but a quart? so i got some seals and going to try to fix my self.
Updating as the build goes. should have more pics in 2 hours.
NOW its 25 degrees outside and in the shop, and the big heater is down so im using this works ok if your in front of it but holy#### its cold

The reason its coming out head gaskets are blown and egr cooler failed.

See less See more
#2 ·
:eek: Good luck with it.

#7 ·
Its a hypermax module Marty. I found it in his sig

#20 ·
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe too high of cylinder pressures can be caused with a lot of timing.

#23 ·
you guys say that's from generic tuning? what tuners do it worse than others? will that happen as bad on a minor tune like a 60 hp or so or is that from a much more extreme tune?

#24 ·
It's all in when the fuel is sprayed. Keep it inside the bowl means you make power with little smoke, outside the bowl and well, you see what is happening to his pistons.

A 60hp tune from one person can be more damaging then a full out race program depending on who does it.

#25 ·
let me reiterate..

that star pattern on his pistons is from the generis hypertech he was running for a long time prior to his CUSTOM TUNED SCT.

in most cases you will not see that pattern with any custom SCT.

if I had to guess..I would say that star pattern is a lot less noticible now (since he has been running the sct) then it was when he was running the hypertech..

#30 ·
It didn't blow a head gasket tell i put the SCT on it zane :doh:

Started using a gallon a day that got old quick i may get antifreeze for free but its annoying as hell when you pull up to a stop light and theres ppl pointing hey your leaking something

hahaha!

#27 ·
ok i understand now, sorry for the dumb questions here but i am a little new to this. now as i asked in another post about the custom tunes compared to an off
the shelf tune, i see the difference now. thanks everyone.

#29 ·
Ok prior to running the SCT. I know they advanced the timing to the extreme you can here it in the exhaust but with timing comes cooler EGT.s correct me if im wrong?

Most the time on the Hypermax i ran on the 75hp level.
After a while the tranny started acting up so called eric up and had SCT sent,
Been running his Race tune the whole time. DOes not crackle or POP out the exhaust like some othere tunes or the hypermax.

Got my heads to the machine shop yesterday called me to day. Milled and valves springs blah blah blah engine is ready to go back together.

have to take Intake manifold up there now cuz i think i found a crack.

h11's are going in
ITP fuel system.
and more let yall know whats up soon

#38 ·
Unless there are contributing factors, it usually takes more than a little effort to blow the gaskets. Some people never have failures with a tuner and stock head bolts while others have failures with head studs. It is all very dependent on how flat the heads/block are and how well it was assembled to begin with.

There are however many things that are known to create high cylinder pressures and cause premature failures and excessive timing is one of them.

#39 ·
What tuning was puking more coolant? The popping exhaust tuning was probably running less boost and safer overall tuning if it is what I think you were running......

DJ's tunes are loud like that and he has a pretty good record with keeping stock motors together.......

#41 ·
They all puked about the same after running the hot tunes from almost everyone.

What pushed my truck over the edge was the SCT period.

Weather it was erics,Dougs.chris,Tadds

But if i had to go off how much coolent i had to add

Chris and dougs were the least amount to puke.

I also told chris that i was puking already due to EGR cooler failing and doug as well.
So they backed off timing boost for me.

Once i new my engine was going to be rebuilt i started not caring anymore ran everyone elses.

Im very happy with the tunes from Chris,Eric,Doug.

Also this isn't a compare to whos is going to blow my engine up or not.

Regardless what happens or ppl say EXTREME TUNE MEANS EXTREME

Break that down means everything is being pushed to the max no matter.Timing,Boost,RPM, everything. I have some tunes that run to 4150Rpm and otheres runs to 3500 3600rpm. I guess its who you want to claim for a tuner.

If it was my choice i rather have more boost less timing then less boost more timing. thats my opionion. Id rather replace turbos then rods pistons etc.

thats my .2

Theres a fine line between them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.