Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

smell of what seems like anti-freeze??

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  PSD Fan 
#1 ·
when I step on the pedal, I'm getting what I think its anti-freeze smell that comes in the cabin through the vent. This only started to happen after I had a Fitch fuel catalyst installed. I have a 2006 6.0. I took it in the dealer and they couldn't locate where or what's causing it. Someone I met had mentioned this might be a head gasket problem? Any idea or suggestion?

#2 ·
Is the passenger side floor board wet? Maybe heater core?:shrug: Other than that i dont know, im sure someone will chime in with something. Good luck.

#4 ·
Thanks you guys for posting! The floor is not wet inside the cabin. Everything seems normal. I don't believe its the EGR, unless the dealership didn't notify me of any issues. I recently had the transmission flush (this included the EGR cleaning?) as well as the coolant pressurized, they couldn't locate any problem. Where would the degas cap located? I have physically looked at the engine pretty closely and beneath, I don't see anything that is leaking. Nothing with white substance either.

#6 ·
I believe what you want to look for would be more of like a white powder or coating near or around the degas cap. The cap is located on the drivers side of the truck sorta above the master cylinder.

Kinda crappy picture but its up above and behind the air cleaner.

#7 ·
Check all the coolant hoses for moisture seepage or even dripping. Especially check the hoses that got moved during the install. I'm currently working on an '04 6.0 with the same symptoms. It just started dripping now though. Turns out it was the hose connecting the egr cooler to the oil cooler. (you shouldn't have had to mess with this for the fitch install though) It's the @2" long 3/4" hose. You could get it hot & see if there's any moisture around the area. It's located to the right of the oil filter housing. If that's the case, it's the perfect time to do the egr delete. There's plenty of good kits available all over for this. I've had a bunch of guys just have me weld the exhaust inlet & outlet on the egr to save them some coin. That way, even if it leaks on the inside, it has no where to go.

#8 ·
Thanks a lot, guys!! I really appreciate all the great inputs. Come to think of it, this may have something to do with EGR. I punched the pedal again this morning and it smells more like a tire or rubber smell...very confusing. Anyway, will look into all the possibilties and really hope its not the leak/blown head gasket. I'm not much of a mechanic, at times like this I wish I knew more. Thanks again!!

Attachments

#11 ·
Supposedly it will still meet emissions, I can't say for sure though. My opinion, delete that biatch and be done with it. Bean just did mine, and ever since I've been trying to figure out why I waited until it almost left me stranded 500 miles from home to decide to do it.

Justin

#13 ·
There are way too many laws in Cali. I was thinking of getting the DPF delete, but I know for a fact that's illegal here. Adam, any of the two Cali customers you shipped your EGR delete kit dealer/shop? or just individual? Do you have any diesel mechanic shop customer located close to L.A. area, specifically San Gabriel Valley area? Thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.