Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

start up white smoke

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  cartmanea 
#1 ·
welp we were workin on my cuzins truck. and we went to take it out of the garage and he started it up and puffed outa good cloud of white smoke. ive never seen this before and it was ina a semi heated garage so it was warm enough to work in. wat could this be he says it does it every day he goes to leave work

#2 ·
Sounds like the EGR cooler. pop out the EGR valve and have a look at it, is it dry or is it kinda wet and sticky?

#4 ·
My truck does that too when it is cold. It'll smoke white till it warms up then it goes away. No change in coolant level in the overflow tank and UOA says nothing in the oil so I am not worrying about it. At some point soon I hope to do an EGR and cooler delete and then I won't have that to worry about.

#6 ·
wellp his is in the shop and so is myne i looked in my motor and oil all over front of motor dripping down have no clue we think its the front engine cover ill keep yall posted

#7 ·
Mine's been doing this too. I can't plug it in at my apartment at school, so when its cold out it doesn't like it. I'm pretty sure I have a bad glow plug or two because it stops as soon as it warms up. I'll probably try switching to synthetic before anything else in case its a injector problem, that or I may try Lubrication Specialties Hot Shot Sectret, its supposed to help out with injector stiction.

#8 ·
I am running Schaeffer 9000 synth and it still smokes on startup. Glow plogs are a thought but my truck starts right up with the temp in the mid 20's.

#10 ·
welp talked to my guy and still no code, nothing, they cant figure it out they gonna wait till tomorrow to check more things like egr valve ect. ill keep you guys up dated

#11 ·
OK. New to this forum but have been on powerstroke.org for a while and haven't gotten much help there but have the same problem as lil20bruski has discussed.

Smokes at idle following start-up....is NOT going through coolant or oil, all levels are good and haven't changed in 3,000 miles (drew a line on coolant tank to monitor level). Truck runs like a million bucks, no loss of power, no missing or anything... just smokes alot and does it in even moderate temps (45 degrees and warmer). Once it warms up, it kind of subsides. Actually, it subsides quite a bit but I still see a little white smoke coming out.

Truck just turned 80,000. 2005 PSD. 4" TBE, No Cat, S&B Intake, stock tune, NO DTC Codes as of yesterday (10 January 2009). Video is below. Lil20bruski, sorry for hijacking but I'm hoping this is the same problem you had and am wondering what your resolution was. Thanks man.

#13 ·
Could be a bad turbo, I have replaced a number of them for the same concern, easiest way to tell is to pull the turbo and inspect it, if its dry where the up pipes come in but wet were the exhaust exits you need a turbo.

#15 ·
If this were the case, I'd be going through oil at a noticeable level...especially since I've put 4,000 on it since it' started to do this. Also, the smoke would have a distinct odor of oil... it smells of pure diesel exhaust. Finally, once truck is warmed up, it subsides to a respectable level.

I'm guessing (and hoping :) that I have a bad glow plug but who knows. It's still under the 100,000 mile power train warranty so if it is something more significant (turbo), it should be covered I would think. Thanks much.

#18 ·
A bad glow plug will cause white smoke until the truck warms up, if the truck is fully warmed up and still blowing white smoke its not GP related.

you would not necesarily be burning oil at a noticable rate if you had a leaking turbo, it doesn't take much to create smoke.

And if you are still under warranty, take it to the dealer and let them fix it on there dime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.