Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

No start after engine install, help

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Johnboy3 
#1 ·
I was hoping someone had some ideas for me. I bought an 04 6.0 with 290k that was putting oil in the coolant. Great price, so I bought it for a project / test mule. Here's what I have done so far. I pulled the engine. Installed new bearings, new oil cooler, new head gaskets, headstuds, egr block off. Reinstalled engine and can't get it to start. I think I have two or three problems. The scanner is showing low icp, so I am assuming I may have ruined an oring somewhere during assembly which isn't bothering me too much, but I'm wondering if the sensor is just not reading like the rest. What makes me think it is a electrical problem is neither the cam sensor nor the crank sensor will show rpms. The coolant and oil sensors are reading high input codes. There is no smoke or even a hint of firing. The truck did start and run no problem before pulling the engine.

Doesn't anyone have any ideas? Batteries are up and on the charger during cranking 13+ volts. Rechecked connections on both sensors and at the pcm. This truck is starting to make me crazy. Is there a common wire that powers those sensors?

Thanks.

#2 ·
If I were you I would fix the low ICP problem, then double check all your connections, make sure everything is plugged in, also make sure you didn't miss a ground or something, check the connectors at the FICM make sure they are seated properly.

#3 ·
did it run when ya got it?

If not a bad injector can hang the spool valve open and cause it to dump all the oil psi and cause it not to run.

The other thing to check thier is a check ball assembly that likes to get gunked up with dirt and not allow lpop to build up properly. It is behind the balancer in the front cover under the front of the truck. Remove that plug clean it out and put it back in

Travis

#4 ·
Is it throwing high side open on the ICP? If so that will be the issue along with no crank/cam signal. Check volatge at the crank/cam sensors and see if you are getting voltage, if not then start tracing down why. If you have a 5 volt wire shorted they will all be dead and do all kinds of stupid stuff.

Also pull the oil filter and hold down the drain back valve while cranking to make sure the lpop is flowing oil.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info Bean. I did get it running though. It was the connection at the pcm on the fender. Once I blew it out, sprayed it, said a prayer and clicked my heals, it started. Now I'm tracking down either a bad ipr or the wiring to it. It will occasionaly quit for no reason and will not start till I fidget with the ipr.

Thanks for the help though.

#8 ·
You guys might not believe this, but I had a bad oil filter causing all the trouble. For some reason it was coming apart. When you rubbed your fingers over the filter the material would just rub into balls. The little pieces of material kept plugging up the ipr screen. Changed the oil filter, dumped the oil, and everything is fine. I pulled the ipr just for fun today since I can do it with my eyes closed now and it was spotless. Very odd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.