Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Pics of snowman mod

25K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  444_4x4 
#1 ·
I'm going to try this on my truck to cut down a little engine noise. My 01 lariat is way louder than my dad's 03 xlt for some reason. I have the basic concept of the mod. Just wondering if anyone had any pics to make sure I have it for sure.

#2 ·
If I remember I'll try to get a couple decent pictures tomorrow. It's a simple straight forward mod though. You just slit the coozie (or however it's spelled) and open up the bottom a bit more so that it will fit. I also sliced the top of the coozie at an angle. That way, it would be flush against the firewall and still be parallel to the column. Then i put a ton of duct tape on it.

It seemed to cut down quite a bit of the noise in the cab. I was surprised.

#4 ·
You dont need to do that Mod Ford has a new steering shaft seal that has a double seal. It is about $20 and installs in about 10 min. All you need ot do is drop the shaft from the steering wheel makes the truck nice and quiet.

#5 ·
Sorry for the delay and the large picture. I know it's not pretty, but who is going to see it under the dash?

#7 ·
When did ford come out with this new seal? Can someone post a pic so that I can see if I already have it? Thanks.

#11 ·
I did the snowman and it made a big difference in those high pitched ticky type noises. You can simulate the mod with a rag stuffed into the spot. Mine looks like 53Fordguy's but I used black duct tape and a red cozy. Duct tape sticks pretty well to the rubber OEM mat. Dropping the steering shaft for a ford part would be a PITA.

#12 ·
Did you guys just use duct tape or did you use any kind of silicone or spray adhesive when attaching to the fire wall. I'm not too concerned about looks. I think I can make it look good. Plus i'm planning on getting a hush panel too, which should cover that up.

#13 ·
Dropping the steering shaft is pretty easy...all you need to do is take one bolt out of the shaft and slide it up, then pop the seal out and replace.
I did look the part # up today, but forgot it at work. I'll try and post it tomorrow. It was in the $20-30 range.

#15 ·
I did only duct tape. I figured it would be easier to remove (if i wanted to remove it) than a spray adhesive. I'd be interested in the part number for the new seal though. It might be interesting to see if it makes much of a difference.

#16 ·
Part number for the steering shaft firewall seal on a 2000 F250 is:
2C3Z 3D677 AA
Not sure what years this would all fit, or whether or not it is a double walled seal or not.

#17 ·
The part number for a 2005 model year F250 is 5C3Z 3D677 AA....so it is one number different from the 2000 year. Anybody know if the 05 year will fit in the earlier models?

#18 ·
Does it show that that there is a superceding part number for the 2000? Any sign that the part number was updated?

#19 ·
Sorry, for the response Yes the original part has been updated to the new number and twin seal style. I tried the Snowman mod but always had a annoying rubbing noise as the shaft rotates in the rubber. The new seal and the old seal look the same from the outside the real difference is the double wiper inside

Dana

#24 ·
Just an FYI, 5C3Z 3D677 AA is a double wiper firewall steering shaft seal, but it DOES NOT fit the 99-04 trucks, appears to be 05 and newer as far as I can tell. Found this out today after ordering it for my 02. It's larger in diameter where the plastic meets the metal of the firewall, and has an extra tab that the earlier one doesn't. Not sure what the solution is, maybe you order a 2C3Z 3D677 AA for an earlier truck and get the double wiper design by default? My parts counter guy had no idea. Gonna take it back tomorrow and order the one that starts with 2.

#20 ·
Can you tell much of a difference between the new and old seal?

Also, I was afraid of listening to a rubbing sound from the snowman mod. That's why i decided to make the opening larger (i probably don't get as much noise reduction because of the gaps).

#21 ·
I went ahead and did the snowman mod. Ended up making a big difference. Now my 01 sounds just like my dad's 03 on the inside. I actually downloaded a decibel meter for my phone and recorded before and after. Before was around 72-73 at warm idle, and after was around 67-68, which is identical to the numbers in my dad's 03. After looking closer at my dad's it looks like he has the new seal. It has the double seal both inside and outside. Mine only had outside if i remember correctly. Can't see it now because of the koozie. Another way to verify this is to shine a light at your seal. Bigfords and I originally did this to mine and you could see light like crazy coming through the seal. I shone a light at my dad's 03 and couldn't see any light. So yes, there is a newer seal and yes it makes a difference. But the koozie also makes a difference. Wonder how both of them together would work....

#22 ·
Over the weekend I threw in one of the updated steering shaft seals. Easy install, just drop the steering shaft, pop the old one out (towards the interior), and slide the new one back on. Then bolt the shaft back up. Maybe 15 minutes tops.

The new seal made a very noticeable difference in the cab. My old seal was all worn out, and not even touching the plastic sleeve the goes over the steering shaft. I would not have really known how bad the seal was until I pulled it out. My wife also noticed a difference:)

#23 ·
My old seal was all worn out, and not even touching the plastic sleeve the goes over the steering shaft. I would not have really known how bad the seal was until I pulled it out. My wife also noticed a difference:)
I hope you both enjoyed the nice tight seal on your shaft. :D

#26 ·
Yep, I was just making sure to clarify for anyone who got confused like I did about the part numbers in this thread.... I somehow got it in my head that the one that started with 5 was the new "updated" one, but it turns out that it's simply the part number for 05 and newer trucks, and I should have ordered the one that starts with 2, since it's the same part number but has been improved with the double seal.

:doh:

Just ordered a 2C3Z 3D677 AA earlier, we'll see if this is the right one now. :D

#28 ·
My 2000 has a rip in the seal, thanks for the part numbers this should help with my very loud cab!

#31 ·
I know this is very old, but I am going to attempt the repair with the correct part for my 2003 F250 7.3. I saw people said to drop the steering shaft, and I am not sure what this means. Is that from the cab side or the engine side? Any pictures would be very helpful! Thanks!

#32 ·
Where the steering shaft bolts to the steering gearbox.
I’m going to check mine tomorrow. I also used the clutch master cylinder hole to run wires and stuff. Never really sealed that too good either. That was 18 years ago. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.