Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Mechanics help! I think I was screwed!

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Power Smoker 
#1 ·
How long does it take to properly service a torqueshift in a 06 PSD. I had mine done the other day and it only took him about 45 min. The fluid was supposedly exchange completely via machine, and both filters changed. I can't seem to find any evidence of a wrench or socket even turning any of the bolts, filter housing or even the drain plug. The pan doesn't even look like it's been touched. I don't know how this is supposed to be done but I want to do a little asking around before I say anything and look stupid. This was my first service on my trans. I've heard that there should be a knock out plug still in the bottom of the trans pan if the pan has never been off. Can someone help enlighten me!

#2 ·
I drive the truck till the tranny's up to temperature, come back to the shop, change the filters and do the flush, test drive again to make sure it shifts properly, come back to the shop and double check the fluid level, all that takes me about an hour.

If theres no evidence of work being done, I would definently question that.

#5 ·
I would still question it. There are guys out there that will check the tranny fluid and if it looks clean they will just say they did it.

#7 ·
The pan MUST come off to replace the filter.

You should be able to tell that they put some sort of socket on the pan bolts, or a wrench on the drain plug. some guys will leave there oily finger prints all over the place and others will clean everything up, I always spray everything down really good with brake cleaner before returning to the customer, brake clean can dry white, might want to look for that as well.

#8 ·
Powerstroker, I just read on another post that the filters were not required to be replaced during the scheduled trans service. This is weird. Wouldn't the filter change be one of the most important parts of the service? This is why I like to do my own work, but in this case I was going for the complete fluid exchange via the evac machine. I have a hard time trusting anyone, it just seems like too many people cut corners.

#9 ·
According to fords maint. schedule it doesn't tell you to change the pan filter till 150,000 miles, but it also says the external filter should be change at every service (30,000 miles). Sometimes the customers buy both filters and sometimes they just want a flush, IMO the pan filter does not need to be changed at every service, but if you paid for it they should have done it.

#10 ·
Gotcha, I see that in the manual now. I'm just a firm believer in staying on top of maint. and spending a few dollars here to save thousands in the long run. How do you approach it on your truck. Do you feel it's best to replace both filters when doing a full fluid exchange? Seems like a smart move to me but I don't work on these for a living, you guys are the experts on this, that's why I'm here asking questions.

You know, maybe I'm wasting my money. We've got a guy that works with us, he's worked with us for four years, and he NEVER changes the oil or filter in his truck! Really, he has never changed it!!!!! On top of that, he starts it up after it's been sitting for 10 hours and drives off like he just got the green in a drag race. I can't believe the thing hasn't blown up. He doesn't do anything to it other than put gas in it.

#11 ·
Its important to change the external filter every service, thats the one on the return line from the cooler, it catches any debris from the cooler and keeps it from going back into the tranny. The filter in the tranny in pretty big and has alot of surface area which is why it can go for longer intervals without need to be changed, in other words it can be partialy clogged and still provide sufficient flow.

#13 ·
Here is the details of my bill. Don't know if you can make heads or tails of the coding.

A ATF FLUSH
MOC5 ATF FLUSH
33 C 1.10 44.00
1 01941 MOC ATF FLUSH KIT 44.00
18 XT*6*QSP FLUID - TRANSMISSION 117.18
1 XT*5*QMC FLUID - TRANSMISSION 5.53

I did take home 1 quart of mercon 5 for power steering and 4 extra quarts of mercon sp to change my transfer case fluid.

You know when I was calling around to check on the procedures of each dealer I asked all if their service just drained the pan or did a complete fluid exchange. I was pretty certain that I asked if they change the filters too, but I was really more concerned if they were doing a complete fluid exchange and may have neglected to ask about the filter change. I want to make sure that I am fair about what I am saying, so this could very well be a mistake on my part when seeking info.

If anyone can decode this bill I would appreciate it.

#14 ·
They used a trans flush machine. They didn't drain the pan or converter. That is why there is a flush kit and that much fluid charged out. I would replace the inline filter and be done with it. The flush machines to a very good job and that kit has chemicals in it to clean and condition seals.

#16 ·
the pan filter is a metal screen, it does not need to be touched period until the book says the service is required, like 100K or 150K cant remember. anyways, i just paid over $300 for my 60K service and it is fine. also, the external filter was replaced by the dealer as well with said service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.