Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

lets talk rear dually tires

5K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  MidnightDieselPerformance 
#1 ·
Lets talk rear dually tire set up
currently i run 285/75/16 BFG At's with 2 inch spacer on factory dually rims, and a 16x8 weld up front with 33-12.50-16 inch truxus sts's i am thinking of going to a 255/85/16 in rear same height as a 285 just narrower and ditching the spacers to tuck the rear tires in more and throw more dirt with front in a different path, any one have any thoughts to my idea?

#7 ·

I'm not an expert. I would throw some weight on the front driver's side to balance that thing out a little. That is a long ass truck and it still looks like it is trying to carry a tire.

I don't think your truck is hurting for traction House. What hurts you is wheel speed. I've yet to see you "power out" on the track. Which leads me to believe you are not lacking power, maybe rpms, but not power. That is why your truck is so competitive on those old heavy and slow sleds. JMO, but as I said above, I'm not an expert.

I know, that you know more than I ever will about truck pulling. So maybe your dually wheel idea will work better than I think it will. I just don't see how your truck could possibly have less traction than the trucks that you compete against.

#8 ·
You are right at 8k aren't you house??

#10 ·
watch rear tires searching for traction, well the bfg's are down to 35-40% tread and sts's are new there will be 300-400lb on front next year just trying to decide on tires and maybe getting tires tucked in more in rear so not running over thrown dirt from front

#13 ·
Joe you've prolly lost the equivilant to 1 hanging weight haven't you? :ford: I know you were right at the scaling limit before you had surgery.

I think trying the skinnies is worth a shot.

Dave

#16 ·
you have the same problem I had with my truck , the front isn't hooking up good enough since you can't hang enough weight. one thing that made a big help was taken the leveling springs out and letting the front drop the other was strippin every little thing I could off the frame and interrior.

#17 ·
What about finding a wheel that will let you run a single on the rear and just do a wheel swap before the pulls.

#19 ·
What tires are you thinking about running in a 255/85/16? Are there any in an all-terrain tires in that size? I know you can get BFG mud-terrains, but I would think that would be way too aggressive for pulling.

#22 ·
Which ones are you talking about? I've been looking at Toyo's website and I can't find an AT in a 255/85/16. I would love to have an AT in that size. Since this truck spends 85% of its life on-road, I have no desire to purchase the BFG MT's.

#21 ·
I think that with a narrower tire at your wheel speed, you will have more downforce from less contact area, pushing the tire into the dirt more, finding traction.. Thats my opinion, and how you do it when plowing snow... If you had more wheel speed OTOH i would get a wider tire and throw all the dirt you could

#24 ·
If you have enough power STS's all the way around will wreak havoc on a drive train but dang they hook nice when nothin breaks.

I am thinkin about runnin wieghts next year but dang there just isnt much more that I can strip out to loose the wieght. I will have to start losing some of my goodies like the train horns and the head ache rack but then the truck wouldnt be as cool or look as good so I am kinda crossed up on that.

#30 ·
Need to strip the 100#'s of useless wirring out of it, maby ditch about 13 gauges. Not sure how you are getting yours that much lighter, I have stripped the heck out of mine. Of course it depends on the scales too, around here I could get couple hundred under 8k with everything in the cab but go up to Scheids and be 100# over with the interior stripped out. :confused:

#29 ·
house we were runnin 255 at's on the dodge you saw me pullin but we then switched to 285 BFG at's and it was alot better. know all we had was it would skate like it was on ice on a loose track, Van told us to put big spacers in so the wheels had at least 1 inch between them to clear out dirt and be able to sink down to hard ground. won't know till the first indoor if that works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.