Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Thinking of buying 03 EX with 6.0 120k Yes or No!

4K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  wise guy 
#1 ·
Any help would do. Should I buy or not? :confused:

#2 ·
For the right price sure. I'd buy it for cheap and swap in a cummins or a 7.3. But I have told myself I will never own another 6.0 again.

#4 ·
Not me! Yikes....but there are those 6.0 lovers out there that want a hot rod motor that has iffy reliability even when "bulletproofed" I like my motors closer to stock than most so I may be the wrong person to ask, myself I'd be looking for a clean 02 7.3 ex. With the same miles for about the same price or less. For example I bought a 2001 ex limited 4x4 in mint condition with 155k on it for 11500 last year. And it was immaculate.

#5 ·
I just bought my 2000 4x4 Limited with 142k and 7.3 for 11400. and its clean as a pin. Seems high to me.

#6 ·
Having owned a 05 Ex and currently a 03 7.3 Ex, I'd buy another 6.0 as long as it met the following conditions, 1) already has head studs and EGR delete, or 2) it was priced good enough that I could do the head studs and EGR delete. Take those two out of the equation, and my 6.0 treated me pretty good.

#8 ·
I can't speak from experience but I have a friend who drove a 6.0 f250 for 5-6 years and it was ALWAYS a hpop, injector, high idle, cutting off or rough idle problem.. May I mention he NEVER had a chip or pulled anything! I'm sure I'll hear it from some of the hardcore 6.0 guys but when I asked him to find me a powerstroke he demanded that I get a 7.3.. That's the best advice anyone has ever given me and I'm glad I listened.. In the end it's you're call but for what it's worth I'd say get a 7.3 excursion

#10 ·
Id stay way away from the 6.0 I can write pages of buddies who have problems with them. search around, took me a while to find my 02 7.3 Excursion they way i wanted it and had to travel out of state.

#13 ·
I love my 6.0L. It's my second one, and if I could afford it right now, I would go and buy a 6.0L excursion.

I have quite a number of personal friends that have 6.0's and the majority of them are problem free. The one that has had a hiccup has had repairs done at a shop with a questionable 6.0L knowledge base.

There are a lot more good 6.0's out there than bad ones in my experience. Be careful and have a competent shop perform a thorough inspection. I almost bought and 03 Excursion with 227k until the hidden body damage was revealed. Miles are just a measurement, if it has been cared for it might be a winner!

FWIW, I have spent more on my 7.3L Excursion in the past 2 years than I have on my 6.0L F250 in 7 years.

I vote yes....(if not could you forward the vehicle info?) ;)

Cheers

#14 ·
I love my 6.0 also.
Would never buy a 7.3.
I have had problems also, but they were all caused by shops that dont know the 6.0.
Id say go for it.
Just make sure you get studs and an EGR delete, or bulletproof if ya live in an emissions state.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#15 ·
I went down this road about a month ago as I was considering buying a 6.0 to bulletproof. My local shop knows, and loves, 6.0's thoroughly. Why? They are a 4 digit expense waiting to happen. I was advised to keep the 7.3 and move on. At the time I was in the shop, there just happened to be a 6.0 with the cab on the lift getting the usual $5500 treatment.

When you are told that you can 'bulletproof' a 6.0, keep in mind that for many of the questionable components, Ford built the best available. They are not guaranteed to be reliable down the road, just as the parts from the factory, obviously, are not.

#17 ·
Just like with any motor, some people will like it and some people will say nothing but bad things about it. I have heard people say all kinds of bad things about 7.3s, 6.0s, ECT. It all comes down to how you maintain it, and what kind of condition it has been kept in. I would own a 6.0 in a heartbeat if i could. There will always be people that love them, there will always be people that hate them.

#18 ·
I was considering a 6.0 until I talked to the shop that works on my Excursion 7.3. They told me don't do it because the 6.0 are nothing but trouble. They also said to be ready to spend $1-2K in repairs everytime it got sick. That's why Ford ditched it so quickly! RUN!!!!

#19 ·
Bull####!!
Once bulletproofed, the 6.0 is one of the best engines out there.
Also, Ford used it longer then the 6.4. They didn't ditch the 6.0 quickly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

#20 ·
I personally love the 6.0 yes they have issues but so does 7.3. I personally dislike the 7.3 Had one for 56,000 miles hpop 8 injectors turbo pedestal water pump leak trans died @ 49k oil cooler leak 2 glow plug relays 3 cam sensors and an IDM. 7.3 reliable no don't think so. My 1st 6.0 04 ficm, head gaskets 2 ebp sensors an ipr and 8 injectors. Never had a bad egr but changed both coolers when we did the heads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.