Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Antifreeze disappearing

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  crowz 
#1 ·
On my 6.0, I've noticed antifreeze is mysteriously disappearing from the coolant reservoir. It doesn't puke very much at all, just enough to splatter around the cap, but not blowing everywhere like my Dad's did when his head gaskets went. My truck does not white smoke any at all that I can see, but does blue smoke excessively, mostly cold, (like the EGR is bad, but a new EGR didn't help). So, is my EGR cooler leaking and it's just not enough to make the truck white smoke? I'm about 1000 miles from home, so I've got to keep running it.

Justin

#4 ·
I just have a lot of blue smoke on startup, and I mean a lot. It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold outside, it blue smokes. I'll try to pay closer attention tomorrow and see what it smells like when I start it. It's puking more as of late than it has been, but it's still not much. It has just splattered around the cap, and isn't anywhere else in the engine compartment. I'll look it over again in the morning though. This truck is bone stock and the only problems I've had out of it previously was a blown (yes blown to pieces) turbo, and multiple EGR valves.

Justin

#6 ·
when you pulled the egr valve was the carbon depsits like wet soft and gummy instead of dry and flakey?

#7 ·
It was dry and flakey, but this was a few weeks ago before the antifreeze started disappearing. It was puking at that time, but that's it. What's weird about the truck is it runs exactly like it did when my EGR valves went bad in the past, but cleaning the old EGR, and finally replacing it didn't help.

Justin

#10 ·
Well the truck finally decided to fess up to what was going on this morning. Fired it up and it turned into a steam-engine, almost leaving my azz stranded 400 miles away. Limped home on an antifreeze i.v. this afternoon. Luckily I only live 30 minutes from Bean :D

Justin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.