Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

7.3 injector problem or bad fuel??

11K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  smokyred 
#1 ·
O.K. I have a 2000 Ford rollback tow truck with a 7.3 Powerstroke. I just replace the injectors about a month ago and the truck was running sweet. I fueled up thursday night out of town. Come friday the truck had a very strong fuel smell when running. By friday night 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank of fuel later the truck was smoking real bad and sounded like it was missing at idle. On the highway it runs like a top. Shut the truck off for a few minutes and it has a catch when you turn it over. Like the injector is stuck open and dripping fuel in the cylinder. We put it on the scanner and it says the #8 injector is bad. Now my questions are: Did I get some bad fuel and clog the injector to where it is stuck open? Or Do I maybe have a defective injector that is shorted and staying open? And how could I tell? If it is clogged and stuck open is there a way to clean it? Thanks in advance.

Later Cruz

#2 ·
Welcome to the Nation!

Not real up on injectors, others are and will be on shortly.

I think I would start by pulling the injector and looking at o rings.

#3 ·
#8 is driver's side-rear, check the wiring and if it's OK, pull the injector out and see if the o-rings are OK. If they are good you may have an internal injector problem.

Dave

#4 ·
Swap #8 with 2,4, or 6, if the problem stays at #8 you have a wiring issue, if the problem follows #8 injector replace it.

#5 ·
:whs: I should have said that, lol. Also after you find and fix the problem, replace the o-rings on the injectors you pulled out, they are not generally re-usable.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.