Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Truck stalls when i let off the gas?

27K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Betaracer 
#1 ·
a few times when driving the truck stalled when i let off the gas. its a 2006 f250 6.0 with 99,000 mils. we changed the fuel filters. I just bought the truck, it was sitting for like 10 months. could it be bad gas? i put some power service fuel additive and filled up the tank. :ford:

#2 ·
less than 100k miles take it to the dealer for 100 bucks they'll get it straight for you. could be the stc fitting starting to come loose is it hard to start when its hot?

#5 ·
Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Let me rephrase that. It happened again tonight. Just driving down the highway about 50 mph, I let off the accelerator and the truck stalled out almost like the power was cut off. It restarts no problem but randomly stalls. Anyone know what it could be?

#6 ·
maby the egr is sticking open are you getting any smoke? does it seem to lack power at times? it could be a number of things can you pull any codes?

#7 ·
You might have a sensor wire grounding out. Check the wire bundles around the injectors and especially the one going to the Exhaust Pressure Sensor at the front driver's side. Mine was rubbing on a stud. As I have a manual, it would cutout, but restart. The easiest way to test is have the truck running and move the wire bundles around. Be careful of hot and moving parts.

Sorry about the gas comment, but it is a peeve.

#9 ·
Ok, so I am back to the drawing board. I had the Engine wire harness replaced by the dealership. They said that there was a short in it and that is why my truck was stalling when I let off the accelerator pedal. I drove it for a day and it is stalling again. Anyone have any other ideas? Could it be the throttle position sensor. It completeley cuts out all power to the truck when it stalls. Truck doesn't run rough, just suddenly stalls at random occasions and always when I get off the accelerator completely.

#10 ·
I had the harness replaced by the dealership, under warranty of course, but just barely. They said there was a short in the harness. After I got the truck back, a day later it started stalling again, but only when I let off the accelerator pedal. One second it runs strong, the next, she is dead. No signs of running rough. Have any ideas? Thanks

#12 ·
you'll have to get some codes out and monotior some pids whould probably be the naxt step. sorry to advise you to go to the dealer i know most people hate to but since its not fixed and its only been a couple days they shouldn't charge another deductible. we don't. and since the original concern was under 100k it should still be covered since it wasn't resolved. like a p05 warranty codeor something like that. call them to see what they will do. i hope they will do you right.

#13 · (Edited)
I had the same problem with mine. Stalls on deceleration, no lights, no codes after the first two times, & restarts immediately. Dealer threw several parts at it. First had a code of ICP, didn't fix, next a code for something else....

Long story short - The last time we took it in, following behind I noticed a light haze of smoke. They cleaned/replaced the EGR. No codes or CEL last 3 times we took it in. It stalled once after the EGR work, & has not reappeared. I have to think it was the EGR the whole time. Do you have any exhaust smoke when you lay into it? Mine is stock and smoked more than normal but not excessive.

I also had a seperate time for the STC ftg. It would not cause it to die though. Only would not restart after up to temp.

Hope this helps. Have them check the EGR & clean.

#14 ·
How much of the wiring harness was replaced? Every bit? If only a portion, check the exhaust pressure sensor wires. Mine shorted on a mounting stud and caused similar problems. Could also be ICP sensor and FICM

#15 ·
Just wanted to give all you guys who have helped me an update. The dealership replaced a fitting on the high pressure oil pump that was leaking. I have had the truck since Friday and it has not stalled yet (knock on wood). I really appreciate everyones help and suggestions. Its nice to know that there are people I can look to for help when I need it. Next on my adgenda is doing an exhaust. I am thinking about going Banks. Any suggestions???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.