My block heater - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:30 AM
kkpsiguy
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

My block heater

Okay....so I bought my F-250 at the middle of Aug. not knowing what I was getting myself into. It seemed like a good thing at the time and it still does. The only thing I've had to replace so far was the tires. As winter is comming and getting colder, I've been looking for my block heater cord to plug in. I couldnt find it so I took it to a ford dealership in Muskogee, OK. I asked them about the block heater cord and an oil leak I had noticed.
The block heater cord is there. It looks as if someone either left it pluged in and tried to leave or got it snagged onto something and it snapped. Either way all I have is cord and no plug. I go to Lowe's to get a replacement plug. I have 3 wires so I got a 3 prong plug. I've always known 3 wires means positive, ground, and neutral. A friend and I go to strip the wires and all we see is a green wire(clearly marked ground) and 2 wires encased in black. No white stripe, no writing of which is what.
The oil leak: I'm no expert on terms that I've seen so I'll describe as best as I can. when you are standing in front of the motor you can see the turbo and a t looking pipe. I'm guessing this is where the air induction is?? At the bottom of this pipe is oil, on both sides of the turbo is oil. The firewall is covered in oil. Oil is down the Bell Housing.
Question #1....should I just get a new block heater cord and replace the whole thing?? Its like $60-$70 at the dealer. Is it safe to just put another end on it?? if so, which wire is which??
Question #2,....I'm sure you hear this alot. I am no mechanic by any means. I can do simple stuff. Is this something I can do by myself?? I have an appt. at a shop to put my truck up on a rack to see where the leak is. He is only charging me $20 to trace the problem.
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2008, 04:32 AM
kkpsiguy
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Re: My block heater

Oh...and the truck is a 1999 F-250 with a 7.3L as Im sure ya'll know. This is my first diesel. I have a lot of plans to do with it. I've thought about doing stacks on it but have never seen a truck with stacks. I have a friend at work really wanting me to do it also.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:39 AM
1badpsd
look what i can do
Member's Gallery

never seen a truck with stacks where you from? by the way welcome
Old 10-29-2008, 04:46 AM
kkpsiguy
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Tahlequah, Oklahoma....

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 43
1badpsd, 2000XLifted, 87jumpy, 94strokeher, Arisley, BigRed97, BlackPearl03, BMac, ButcherGY55, casper7.3, cc97stroke, chris1978, crowz, Deereman4020, Doodah, drakebird, DZLWIZ, FDNYret, FreddieZ, gary02psd, giavuc, hotrodbob, indyF-350psd, Jngreen, jtec, kkpsiguy, krankin, Lee_Bay, newmexicocrawler, ntgd1, pa-powerstroke, Pocket, Powerstroker350, PPE'dPowerStroke, rocketron, shocka04, SKWERL, sneaky09, stevek, Stites02psd, stroked, strokin' n smokin', Torque37