Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Locking Hubs???

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  razorscs 
#1 ·
When I first got my truck, i noticed the front hubs were locked. Another buddy of mine locks his all the time just cause he works construction and doesn't wanna get out if he gets stuck. My question is: would this shorten the service interval for the front diff? I know in the manual it also says to service your front axle needle bearings every 60 thou, I'm sure this would be shortened too if they were locked 24/7 right?

#2 ·
Ive read most people up north lock them in the fall and unlock them in the spring.

#3 ·
I mostly keep mine locked through the winter IF there is snow on the ground or is expected. When I head down to lower elevations where there is typically no snow, I will unlock.

Having the hubs locked spins the front driveshaft as well as the axles. This puts a greater load on the engine and the related components.

#5 ·
what all was said.

I would service the needle bearings at about 2/3 what is recommended if you are leaving them locked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.