95 od light flash... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Other Diesel Topics > Transmission Related
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:15 AM
FlatbedRocketship
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

95 od light flash...

Lately i've been having some trans troubles...
A few weeks ago I was towing with my truck a 22' utility trailer with a small honda car on the back of it, rolling about 35 mps cruising uphill tc unlocked I noticed my trans started slipping really bad... Pulled over and trans was puking boiling hot fluid out but couldnt see where exactly it was coming from... Called AAA, had the truck towed 130 miles home... Got home put 11qts back in and she was back to operating level! I dont think anything got burned up, the fluid boiling out still looked brand new and red, didnt smell burnt.

I got rid of the factory cooler and swapped in place a bigger cooler I picked up from my local auto parts store, truck ran great and didnt get hot at all for about two weeks then one of the cooler lines that wasnt on all the way blew off and I lost another 8 quarts... Added fluid, AGAIN... To operating levels and now noticed the trans starting to operate at a hotter level ( no temp gauge... ) I get out and feel my trans pan and cooler lines after hard runs, before I could hold my hand on the pan for a good 10 sec easy, but it seemed to be getting somewhat warmer then before... I added a second bigger cooler in conjunction with the one I already had installed, this seemed to help alot with the temps !

This weekend I was driving my truck up some 8000' ft passes ( I live at 5280 ) and after about 3/4 the way up my o/d light started to flash, so I pulled over, shut the truck off, got out felt the trans and didnt seem to be excessively hot, but at normal temps, got back in the truck ( started it up to reset the o/d light) and continuited on my way, after that while still climbing about every 1 minute or so the light would come back on again and I would repeat the procedure, trans never seemed to be too hot.

I'm wondering what could be causing this light to keep coming on, my truck is a 95 f350 4x4 7.3 with 261k miles, bone stock minus intake and straight pipe.
Recently replaced the VSS and didn't notice a difference...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 04:58 AM
FlatbedRocketship
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Re: 95 od light flash...

Any insight ?

Anyone had their o/d light flash?
What did you do to fix it?
Iirc the code for the light can be caused by more then one thing.
i'm looking for some insight to why this code keeps coming back...
What about resetting the computer by taking off the negative cables ?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Former Ford Trans Engr.
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatbedRocketship View Post
Any insight ?
Have a bit of patience. Some of us like to sleep at night. You posted the first one after I went to bed and the second one less than two hours later.

Unless you're going to give me a substantial pay raise you will not get 24/7 service on your questions.
Quote:
rolling about 35 mps cruising uphill tc unlocked
There's your problem! 35 mps (miles per second) is 2100 MPH (miles per hour.) these transmissions are known for leaking when travelling over 2000 MPH.

Actually, assuming you meant 35 MPH, with the converter unlocked going uphill the converter would get HOT. The torque converter hub seal in the E4ODs was not very good at high temperatures and would leak. Usually when it cooled down it would seal again.

There are two ways to fix it. The best way is take the trans out and change the seal for an aftermarket seal made of Viton. Ford dealers don't have it, many parts stores do. Any trans shop would have it.

Quote:
I'm wondering what could be causing this light to keep coming on,
It means something is wrong with the transmission system. There are about 50 things that could cause this. The ONLY way to know is to find someone with the right scan tool that can read Ford transmission codes. Auto parts stores that read codes free CANNOT read these codes.

If you don't want to pay to get the codes read get a parts list for the transmission and start buying parts. It might even be wiring or a sensor that isn't on the trans.

Removing the battery cables will clear the light and remove the code until the next time it sees the problem. It won't fix anything, but it will delay any repair.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 03-11-2013, 02:39 PM
FlatbedRocketship
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Have a bit of patience. Some of us like to sleep at night. You posted the first one after I went to bed and the second one less than two hours later.

Unless you're going to give me a substantial pay raise you will not get 24/7 service on your questions.

There's your problem! 35 mps (miles per second) is 2100 MPH (miles per hour.) these transmissions are known for leaking when travelling over 2000 MPH.

Actually, assuming you meant 35 MPH, with the converter unlocked going uphill the converter would get HOT. The torque converter hub seal in the E4ODs was not very good at high temperatures and would leak. Usually when it cooled down it would seal again.

There are two ways to fix it. The best way is take the trans out and change the seal for an aftermarket seal made of Viton. Ford dealers don't have it, many parts stores do. Any trans shop would have it.

It means something is wrong with the transmission system. There are about 50 things that could cause this. The ONLY way to know is to find someone with the right scan tool that can read Ford transmission codes. Auto parts stores that read codes free CANNOT read these codes.

If you don't want to pay to get the codes read get a parts list for the transmission and start buying parts. It might even be wiring or a sensor that isn't on the trans.

Removing the battery cables will clear the light and remove the code until the next time it sees the problem. It won't fix anything, but it will delay any repair.
I figured it might have been coming from a seal/ vent somewhere, do these transmissions have a vent tube ? Where would be the most convient place to take my truck to get scanned ? Ford ? Thanks for all your info and insight, I was hoping my post would catch your attention, you seem to know your stuff well !
Old 03-11-2013, 02:52 PM
cheysays7.3!
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Most heat is caused by the torque converter. Stock converters slip about 6% of the time, causing friction and heat. If your trans is stock then this explains that. Without too much investment, I'd suggest trucool tranny cooler, larger billet pan, or getting your transmission built. Mine was recently done.

Before you pin point it to the TC, go to a good shop and have them run the code. My 95' stored the code and they should be able to pull it and give you a better idea of your issue.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Former Ford Trans Engr.
Member's Gallery

Quote:
I figured it might have been coming from a seal/ vent somewhere, do these transmissions have a vent tube ? Where would be the most convient place to take my truck to get scanned ? Ford ? Thanks for all your info and insight, I was hoping my post would catch your attention, you seem to know your stuff well !
Yes, there is a vent. It is near the front of the trans on top. It isn't the cause of the leak.

A Ford dealer can read the codes. So can any good independent shop.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:03 PM
FlatbedRocketship
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheysays7.3! View Post
Most heat is caused by the torque converter. Stock converters slip about 6% of the time, causing friction and heat. If your trans is stock then this explains that. Without too much investment, I'd suggest trucool tranny cooler, larger billet pan, or getting your transmission built. Mine was recently done.

Before you pin point it to the TC, go to a good shop and have them run the code. My 95' stored the code and they should be able to pull it and give you a better idea of your issue.
My truck already has twin trans coolers in it. but a bigger pan / temp gauge is next on the list.

Ive heard good and bad about bigger pans, good for the obvious reasons but bad because its also alot more fluid to try cooling down when it gets hot.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 PM
FlatbedRocketship
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Yes, there is a vent. It is near the front of the trans on top. It isn't the cause of the leak.

A Ford dealer can read the codes. So can any good independent shop.
Can this vent become plugged causing the transmission to.get hotter ?
Old 03-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Former Ford Trans Engr.
Member's Gallery

What is the obvious benefit of a larger pan? I don't know of ANY benefit from a larger pan, except that it makes your wallet lighter.

I don't see how a plugged vent could make the trans hotter.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:45 PM
FlatbedRocketship
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
What is the obvious benefit of a larger pan? I don't know of ANY benefit from a larger pan, except that it makes your wallet lighter.

I don't see how a plugged vent could make the trans hotter.
More fluid ( which is harder to keep cool ) and they look cool. Haha.

then vent was more so a question, I figured if it was clogged it might cause excess pressure/ heat, but that was just a thought, I know almost nothing about these transmissions.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 28
7powerstroke3, 82f100swb, 96stroker7.3, 97_pstroker, Bens, Blackbullet73, cheysays7.3!, Chris99powerstroke, cumminskiller69, diesel78, earthmover, FlatbedRocketship, friskyjake, Jayhawk246, jbrixen, JSchuricht, kason07, kilapapipa, Mark Kovalsky, MB97PSD, mzwizanski, OBSisbest, Psd715, Racer72, Relentless, trackspeeder, Wadevan, Wazincow