Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

WMO & centrifuge

14K views 55 replies 22 participants last post by  rsr911 
#1 ·
I am going to recieve a new centrifuge from simple centrifuge this week probably thursday. Once this product is in My hands I will start filtering WMO/used trannie fluid to mix with diesel. My intent is to mix 50/50. This mix will be used in 2-7.3s, a 97 and a 99.5. Both are high mileage trucks that have been well taken care of altho the 97 was bought used about 6 years ago. Both trucks use approx. 50 gallons each per week.
I have read lots of doom and gloom forecasts by the naysayers and many good reports by those who actually are doing this.I plan to keep detailed records to prove good or bad what this idea is. Of course if I have no known problems using this mix say over 2 years will this be ample proof that its a good idea to the naysayers. If anyone has ideas on providing evidence I'd be glad to listen. Let Me know what you think.

#3 ·
I run about 40,000 miles a year on the 99, 20-25,000 miles on the 97. I put new stage 1's in the 99 from Dynomite Diesel Oct. 28th of 07. So there is 40,000 on that set. The 97 has about 100,000 miles on those injecters but are behaving a little out of the norm until the engine is warm. Due to this I'm not sure that truck will provide exact data. I will keep good records on both trucks but will focus on the 99. Also the 97 recieved a new fuel pump in July of 08. Both of these trucks have had about 1,000 gallons each
of B100 thru them over the summer of 08.
I will be hard pressed to spend the money to remove the injecters and have them inspected for 2 reasons.
1 I work out of these trucks and don't need 1 out of service for a week or what ever amount of time is needed for inspection. If its not broke then don't fix it.
2 This would take money spent to do which is what I am trying to save by going this route although My curiosity may get the best of Me in a year or so.

If the injecters were removed for inspection where would the best place be to have them inspected?

#4 ·
Understand about the need to keep em on the road!

Visual of the tips. Any diesel shop can do the tear down to inspect the plungers, but the if it were me and I was doing an inspection and the tips looked ok, I would be satisfied.
Also looking at the glow plugs would be an indicator. And if you have the valve cover off and the glow plugs are over a year old, they should be replaced anyway.

The concern with blending is incomplete combustion which will coke the injectors and maybe even the chambers and build up on the piston tops.
I have seen an injector out of a 6.0 that was ruined by using SVO and Petrol blended and no pre heating.
The blending fluids have different flash points than petrol diesel, which is what the engine is designed to operate with.
Biodiesel provides about the closets characteristics to petrol diesel when it comes to combustion. SVO does well if it is clean, dry and pre heated to 160-170f.

Keep an eye on that fuel pump in the 97. We have replaced ours 3 times now suspect the B100 is eating the seal. Cheap fix though compared to buying petrol!

#5 ·
The glow plugs have never been changed. I have read that I am up a creek with no paddle by never having changed them. I had 300,000 on the 99 before this was brought to My attention so now I have decided to keep on driving since it still starts very well.
The fuel pump was going south before any B100 ever went thru it so I think it was just wore out.

#6 ·
Update: I put 2 55 gallon drums of WMO thru My new centrifuge this past weekend. This involved 1st running the WMO thru an immersion heater at 140 degrees then on to the centrifuge at a rate of 10 gallons per hour. This oil is rotella that had been in both of My trucks with maybe 1or 2 oil changes from My new holland tractor. Once this was done I poured this into My 1000 gallon skid tank then put the pump nozzle into the back of the tank and recirculated about 100 gallons to the back.
At the start of this there was approx. 150 gallons of petrol diesel in the skid tank. Prior to the last fillup of the skid tank on 8-26-08 with petrol diesel I had used 2,000 gallons of B100 thru this tank bought from a commercial supplier which I learned later after I had discontinued the use that he was having an alge problem. During the use of the B100 the only problem that I encountered was the fact that it would not pass thru a 2 mic filter.
I began using the WMO/diesel mix this past Wed. and before I had gone 150 miles I had changed the filter on My fass unit 3 times(5 mic I think).I have gone an additional 150 miles since with no filter changes. I cut the skin off these filters to look inside,once there it looks as if either there is lard in the filter or grease going by the feel as everything is black. My thinking is that this some sort of leftover from the bio that did not show itself during the use of the reg diesel,but somehow was cut loose from the tank walls once the WMO was poured in. My plan is to drain the skid tank and run all of the fuel back thru the centrifuge to see if this captures anything.
I have 30 gallons of the cleaned WMO that was not mixed into the skid tank that I am going to mix with diesel and then run thru 1 of My trucks to see if the problem arises.
Is there anything that I am over looking?

#9 ·
Just to bring an old thread back from the dead do you have any pictures of your WMO filter/centrifuge set up?

#7 ·
Ive heard that WVO and WMO make a nasy mess when mixed together.....

I duuno about biodiesel and WMO tho........

#8 ·
Well I just had new glow plugs installed in the 99. I went to South Dakota the 8th thru the 13th bird hunting of this month and while there with the 99 realized that the glow plugs were indeed in need of replacement so now in 1 year I will remove some of them and inspect.

#10 ·
Sorry to say but no I have not taken any pictures yet. I am terrible at things like this ,mostly poor time management and something like this can't get very high up the priority list(self employed & 2 small chidren & wife).
I have gone thru 550 gallons of WMO since nov. 1st with good results at a 50/50 mix using only the centrifuge and a 5 mic filter on the FASS system.
I have noticed that My OBS 97 model will not burn this mix as smoke free as My 99.5. I do not know why this is.
If I can motivate myself I will get a few pictures in the near future.

#12 ·
Just a little update. Today I got my truck back from Ryan Casserly at Full Force Diesel. I had Ryan to remove the injectors from the truck for a full inspection and I am happy to tell that after 33,000 miles of a 50/50 mix of diesel and WMO there were no problems other than 2 O rings that showed to be burned a little. There were about 6-8 tanks of 100% diesel run thru this truck from time to time along with some Diesel Service addative from time to time. Also a compression test was performed with 1 cylinder at 365 up to 1 at 405 with the rest falling between the 2.
I had 2 reasons for this inspection,1-I am going to get some live tunes tailered to fit this fuel mix and I wanted to be sure that there were no hardware problems before we started this procedure. The second was My curiosity along with wanting to quite the naysayers whose opinion provided ample evidence to there lack of knowledge on this subject.I would think that this is ample evidence that done correctly WMO will not harm the fuel system on a 7.3. FWIW Ryan indicated that he had seen much more harm from biodiesel than he ever had from a WMO blend concerning injectors.

#13 ·
I have run wmo for years with no problems. I just had a 97 f350 7.3 that run it for 2 years with no problems. Never below 30% diesel and 70 % oil. It run most of the time 90% oil. The truck was stock with air cleaner. My current truck is running the same, it is a 01 f550 7.3. I filter it with a 2 micron fuel filter, part number 3674 from Napa. My pump is from a pesticide spayer. I change my filter on my truck every 2 months. That is it. All these guys on here downing running wmo have not run it or did it wrong. The oil I use is a mixture of 10-30, trans, 90 from diffs, power steering, brake fluid. It is from anywhere I can get it. I even had one 500 gallon tank that was half oil and half anti freeze from a logger. I let it sit for a month and filtered the oil off of it and run that. My 2 micron filter a change every 100 gallons just for the hell of it, they are cheap. Both of my trucks I bought with 250,000 miles plus on them any they run great for me on it. I would not use wmo in a 6.0 or the duramax. Other than that these guys don't know what they are talking about. Just because I can't leave #### alone I did build a new tank and filter awhile back. I got a larger pump (faster fill up) and added a 10 micron filter ($4.50) and a different 2 micron filter ($12.75) that was cheaper. Now I change the filters every 200 gallons. I don't argue with the fact that you have to filter. Filter as much as you can, but the truck has a 2 micron filter on it. That is as small as you have to go. Good luck with it. For filters go to JME sales online they have it all.

#14 ·
If I was to start running WMO again I would have a tank that I could mix it up before poaring it into the tank... I had did this for my small tractor at the house and I did a test in a clear can and poured the wmo into the can with fuel in it already and it went str8 to the bottom and did the oppisite and it mixed some. I would take and have a mixing tank so when you are putting it in the fuel tank you know it is already pre mixed imo. Also in the winter I would run like 25/75 since wmo is thicker and will be harder on the fuel pump.

#16 ·
What other info are you looking for? My only problem now is finding enough oil.

#21 ·
ive been using wmo on and off for the past year,i filter it through a couple rags in a funnel.i can honestly say the truck runs noticeably better with 50/50 mix.it builds 2 more lbs boost and runs quieter.it will start to smoke a little after it idles more than a few minutes though.

#23 ·
so i am new to this and have a huge supply of wmo and want to know what you guys are runnin for filters and pumps. i figured a "utility" pump would move the oil thru a set of spin on style 5 then 2 micron filters. the only reason i am sayin spin on is i am not sure what else is out there that would work for the oil, so i am all ears to any info!

#24 ·
If you have a huge amount and use enough fuel (ie worth the investment), I would reccomend getting a centrifuge to properly filter out the gunk. Otherwise use a couple 2 micron spin ons with a magnet on one.

Sam

#25 ·
I just got my CF in today. I guess I'll have to wait till next week to set it up since this is mothers day weekend

#26 ·
there is no way that i can cough up the cash for a cf, so i guess i am gonna set up a 2 micron spin on and see how that goes

#27 ·
You need to filter through more than 1 spin on. Be sure (for peace of mind) to put a big magnet on one of them.

Sam

#28 ·
i figured on runnin 2 of them, usin a electric pump from tsc and havin one of the filter a water seperator as well

#29 ·
I can not imagine anything being needed more than 2 mics. You should not have to filter it down more than normal fuel is filtered down. I agree a centrifuge is a great idea as you no longer having the expense of regular filter changes.

#30 ·
is there any legalitys to running this mix if your tank gets dipped? since your not paying road tax on the oil. also are you running road or offroad diesel for your mix?

#31 ·
Subscribed
:psnb:

#32 ·
Has anyone done a gravity feed rig using a 5 miron and 2 micron coffee filters and a magnet? Im sure yall are all laughing, but Im a broke college student and have a very large supply of WMO. has anyone seen any drop in MPG or power? Would be in a 00 7.3.

#33 ·
IMO it's only worth doing if you do it right. I'm unemployed and have a $0 budget and I still plan on getting a centrifuge. (Once I find a job of course.) I don't think your setup would be good enough. I honestly don't even trust wmo enough to run in my 97 model after it's been filtered properly, which is why I plan to invest in an old idi diesel. Hopefully if you end up going with your setup, you only use it long enough til you can use that money you saved on fuel to buy the proper setup before you cause serious damage. Do alot more research on this also. Not just on here but on every other diesel forum you can find. Good luck with it.

#37 ·
there are many threads in the interweb
of people useing acme juicers,as cantrifuges,the rotars
are the same diamiter,as the simple centrifuge
and the same rpms 3600,but you can get em off ebay for 100just a heads up for the po folk
THat is horrible advice. BEWARE!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.