Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Rough ride in my 04 f250 4x4

10K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  IHPowerstroke7.3 
#1 ·
Truck has about 140k on it and its never had the greatest ride. We got some 2012 f350 with the stiffer suspension and it felt like a caddy compared to my 04f250. Now I understand it has diff front suspension and 140k diff of wear but what can I do to make the ride smoother. I replaced the shocks a few months ago with bilesten 5100s and helped a little. The ride is so bad, you feel every little crack in the road and the jarring is insane. Your darn near sore after riding in the truck. There is also a rattling every time you hit a bump. I hope the leafs are just worn out... Replace the leaf packs? Looking for pointers or ideas

P.S. I did search for the info I was looking for but had no luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#2 ·
#3 ·
Is it lifted? What size rim do you run ? When it comes to ride quality everything comes into play. Maybe bad shock bushings? Tires too inflated? Put some weight in the box

#4 ·
It has what I believe is a 3in or so shackle lift in the front with 2in more blocks I the rear. I'm running 16x10s with 285s on them. Replaced the shocks a few months ago with bilstein 5100s so the shocks and bushings are practically new. Tires I try to keep at about 55psi. I had about 1000lbs in the back of it and it road like a caddy. I like my bed space so I'd prefer not to do that all the time lol

I don't have a steering stabilizer on the truck but that shouldn't affect suspension correct? Just help dampen the steering...

#6 ·
They do EVERYTHING. Give Cary a call and tell him Term3 pointed you in his direction and that I want a good deal next time. LOL

#9 ·
I have a 2000 so I have leaf springs up front, but when I bought my truck they were worn and sagging. Replaced them and made a huge difference in ride quality. Have you checked your ball joints? When I bought my 79 they were so bad it didn't just ride bad, I experienced the dreaded death wobble driving it like that, damn near pooped my pants. :eek: :pointlaugh: Didn't take long after that for me to change them out. LOL

#11 ·
Sounds like a big job. If I could bolt on a coil suspension to my Ex myself without emptying my bank account I may consider it. Sure would be nice to switch. Wonder if there's anything on the forum with step by step progress and lots of pictures.

#12 ·
Not sure about write ups
but I know of a few who have done it

the PMF rear hanger for the 08 swap makes that a little easier

but the front buckets and axle up front ,, then I think most swap the rear axle so it matches the front ,, it does get pricey

#16 ·
If yer not thinking about what you can change, upgrade, modify or take apart just 'cause its there on your truck, you ain't got no real Powerstroke blood pumping in yer veins. LOL

#17 ·
I've got the idea of doing the swap myself as my front springs are shot, rears are too. I bought a complete truck to do a cummins swap but with our stupid emission laws up here I decided against it. For the money I'll have to put in it to sell it (a lot more then what I paid for it) I think I'll swap it over.

I have a 2000 rclb and I'm looking at swapping in axles, front suspension from a 05 f250 scsb. I broke a rear leaf so I'm going to buy and swap in the 08+ springs first with the PMF brackets. I think before I swap it all over, I'm going to rebuild the axles. The 05 is a gas so it has the different rear carrier. Also figure I may as well do all the bearings and seals and possible gear swap while its all out. Then part the rest of the truck out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.