Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

hydroboost/power steering OUT need help ASAP!!

17K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  paysoncarnut 
#1 ·
it never fails, i get one thing staritened out and something else breaks.

symptoms:

last night the brakes were very touchy and sticky, hard to turn the wheel
today the brakes barely work at all and no power steering. i was power breaking trying to blow smoke:pointlaugh:and about 3 seconds into it the pedal went almost to the floor and bounced back, and thats when the problems started

power steering pump is pretty new and has never whined. resevior is full. hydroboost has never been touched, and the brake fluid resevior is also full.

i need help asap cause this truck HAS to be moved by tuesday morning!!

anyone have any ideas on where to start?

#7 ·
Bad hydroboost shouldn't affect the power steering. There was a member on another site that had replaced his PS pump and the "new" one was bad???

#9 ·
shouldn't have hurt it, just probably wasn't working properly due to lack of pressure.

#15 ·
wow! You went way back into the archives to find this thread. Also, presume your '08 isn't a 7.3. No matter- you are describing classic symptoms of a worn-out master cylinder. Typically, when the front cup gets worn, the pedal will go to the floor under light application. If you stomp on it hard, the hydraulic pressure makes the cup flare and seat. Try very light pressure on the pedal. If that allows the pedal to sink. try a quick stomp. If that gets you pedal, very likely it's a bad master.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.