Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

egr delete

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  fuekear 
#1 ·
is it worth it? does it really help the heads and is there any noticable difference in spool up or anything? thanks

#2 ·
for what vehicle, are you talking for a 6Liter ?

and are you talking about a FULL egr DELETE w/welded intake manifold and relocated coolant lines, or just a blocked off up pipe ?

how modified a vehicle are we talking about ? ?
when dealing with a moderately to heavily modified vehicle, i believe a complete EGR delete helps quite a bit w/cooling problems due to not having to have the oil cooler receive superheated coolant, as well as the de-aeration hose going to the degas bottle.. this can really help with puking also on trucks that tow or just have puking issues in general.

i'm all for deleting the EGR system, some people say they lost a little fuel mileage when doing this, but i don't see how. there is nothing on paper that says EGR should help make power, the ONLY reason for EGR is to cool cylinder temps to reduce NOX emissions

#3 ·
we offer full EGR deletes.

However, unlike other we do not make any horsepower claims or quicker spool up claims. Its more for a peace of mind, knowing that your EGR cooler is never going to fail and take out your oil cooler, and that your EGR valve is never gonna clog and need to be cleaned (because its gone)

the up pipe that comes with the full kit has the flex section removed and the 'y' section removed so its just a straight shot form the manifold to the turbo, people say it makes the turbo spool faster, but we have no proof and wont make any sales pitches to claim it will.

Will it prevent you from ever blowing headgaskets,no.

Will it HELP to prevent blown headgaskets,yes.

#6 ·
As does Dennis @ ITP ;).

Whom ever's kit you go with it's definitely worth doing. Helps prevent problems down the line as well as keeping the coolant a little cooler. In theory one would expect a little (minimal) better spool since all of the exhaust is flowing undisturbed to the turbo especially if it's an 05+...again, in theory. Will it for sure- :shrug:

The only reason I haven't done it yet is because I'm building an engine that will have it deleted on it.

#7 ·
its an 06 only an edge chip. adam yours is the one i had found and was lookin at. it for a buddy that wants to help his hg thats the main reason he wanted it, just the new up pipe and block off plate. thanks guys.

#9 ·
Not to get off subject, but i've noticed when driving on city streets, after the truck is warmed up, if there is a situation where i have to back out of it fast when there is a little boost built up, sometimes i have heard the waste boost through the intake(K&N). i was told this was impossible cause the PCM should catch this if the EGR is open at the time and will not allow it to blow off until it closes the EGR valve. I don't see there being any problem with the way it is now, but my concern is that maybe my EGR valve is dirty and might be having trouble closing. your input is appreciated.

#10 ·
first problem is the K&N..they are simply a bad idea on the 6.0. go with a s&b or airraid..best bang for your buck out of those two.

what you are hearing is know as a turbo 'fart' or 'cough'..its pretty normal and not a problem..our turbos are a vgt non waste gated turbo..therefore when boost is built up and the sudden let off the air can only go back out one way through the intake.

#13 ·
I understand the fact that the waste boost must exit somewhere when the engine does not need it to perform its most current request(driver input), which is where the waste gate would come into play. Also, I know the wasted boost exits the exhaust. But I still can't help but to believe you couldn't hear the "release" of the wasted boost through the EGR when it's circulating/open, because its function is to recycle exhaust gases correct? I'm sure it's location in the intake/exhaust system will affect the intensity of the sound, but I was thinking I can hear this cause my aftermarket intake versus a stock intake.
So if the compressor surge is not healthy for the turbo, how would I go about fixing it, or try to avoid causing this?

#14 ·
Use a fixed turbo with a wastegate, or try not to jump off the throttle to quickly. A good custom tune seems to help some too, I really have to try/act stupid to make mine do it now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.