Injector Voltage - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke - Aftermarket & Performance
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: FICM voltage VERIFIED at injector wires
40+ Volts DC 2 40.00%
31-40 Volts DC 1 20.00%
21-30 Volts DC 2 40.00%
LESS THAN 21 Volts DC 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2008, 09:29 PM
golfer
fueled by Colecovision
Member's Gallery

Injector Voltage

I would ask anyone who feels comfortable enough with a voltmeter to probe 2 wires on their engine to do so, and fill out the poll with the results.

"How to check the voltage AT the injector harness"

1. Engine off, Key out of ignition

2. Pick any injector, and unplug the wiring harness at the valvecover by pushing in on the metal retainer and pulling the (engine side) harness away from the plug. (pictured above)

3. the pin locations on the harness (pictured) are 1 & 3 are power, and 2 & 4 are grounds.

4. Set your voltmeter to "DC" voltage.

5.. Put one lead of your voltmeter into pin #1 (or #3), and connect the other lead of the voltmeter to ground BUT NOT THE GROUND IN THE HARNESS. Go to any engine ground, anywhere on the block or head, or to the negative post on your battery.

6. Prepare to start the engine by making SURE that nothing you have put on or around the engine can get wrapped up in a belt, fan, etc.

7. Start the engine, and record the voltage shown on the voltmeter.

8. Turn off the engine, and return the wiring to stock.

9. Please come back here and fill out the poll.

Anyone with a scantool (or AutoEnginuity) should compare the value shown under "FICM Voltage" with the reading you took with your voltmeter...

Please DO NOT fill out this poll by simply reading a scantool for "FICM Voltage"...verify the voltage at the injector harness.

Starting your engine with one injector disconnected WILL set a code for #___ injector fault, but once the injector is plugged back in, the truck will run normally, with no check engine light or performance loss.

thanks~

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, just an update...

It looks like the signals are being "averaged" when you use a voltmeter...so if you see 10Vdc on the voltmeter you will have ~ 20Vdc in reality (confirmed with an oscilloscope).

So if you don't have an o'scope to capture the signals, then (roughly) double what you see with the voltmeter.

Since all of our previous testing was actually done with an oscilloscope, the voltages I requested are accurate...so just double what you see with your voltmeter, and fill out the poll.

thanks~

Dave

click to send email

Last edited by imelmo; 10-18-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2008, 09:34 PM
imelmo
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
Member's Gallery

Re: Injector Voltage

What the heck are you posting up here for?

ALSO LOTS OF HELP FROM (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) TWISTED DIESEL PERFORMANCE, FCDP, ITP, MATT WITH GEARHEAD, ERIC WITH INNOVATIVE, DOUG WITH GOGO DIESEL, CASS WITH FULL FORCE DIESEL, AND SWAMP'S

2005 F350 Fat-Butt Truck
2004 ECSB Procharged F250
Old 10-16-2008, 09:39 PM
golfer
fueled by Colecovision
Member's Gallery

CAUSE I'VE SEEN 3 TRUCKS THIS WEEK WITH 19-22v AT THE INJECTORS WIRES...AND 2 OTHERS WITH 40+...

Guess which ones ran good???!?!?!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Redfish
DILLIGAFF
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Redfish

7.3 only?
TRUCK PICS ~ powerstrokenation.com facebook group

Old 10-16-2008, 10:00 PM
golfer
fueled by Colecovision
Member's Gallery

nope, 6.0L stuff...
Old 10-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Redfish
DILLIGAFF
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Redfish

lol sorry didnt see the forum it was in
Old 10-17-2008, 12:43 AM
gfaststroker
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Hey dave, is there any way to change the voltage? Or do you just get what you have? Haven't tested mine yet just curious.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:25 AM
imelmo
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
CAUSE I'VE SEEN 3 TRUCKS THIS WEEK WITH 19-22v AT THE INJECTORS WIRES...AND 2 OTHERS WITH 40+...

Guess which ones ran good???!?!?!

Hmm, well you've got me curious. I'll get one of my minions to do the voltage test tomorrow. My '04 and our '05 should be here. So how would one go about upping the voltage at the injector wires? This would be sort of like an idm mod for 6.0's?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:59 AM
golfer
fueled by Colecovision
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfaststroker View Post
Hey dave, is there any way to change the voltage? Or do you just get what you have? Haven't tested mine yet just curious.
Yes, there's a way.

But what this voltage test is about, is that we are seeing higher injector failures on trucks with low voltage FICM outputs to the injectors.

I spoke with a customer today, recently out of factory warranty, who has had nearly 2 dozen injectors replaced over the last 3 years.

He is an electrician, and I had him check his voltage at the injector harness...

10.1 Vdc

had a truck yesterday come in with (factory) injector problems and his FICM output voltage was 22, another one this week had 19, and 2 trucks came in for "hot rod" parts (not general repair), and they were both exceeding 40 Vdc, before & after we swapped in a set of larger injectors.

Since this doesn't seem that the injector itself (or wiring issues) is drawing an excessive amount of amps (which would reduced voltage)...

it seems that there is a huge disparity in FICM output voltage to the injector solenoids...and a corresponding disparity in engine performance.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:07 AM
imelmo
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
Member's Gallery

Well hook me up dangit!

I wonder if the recent FICM tuning that's been going on addresses this in any way?

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 201
!!!PainTrain!!!, 02stroke'n, 03strokergavin, 06f250sd, 06TWO50Diesel, 1999F350, 1999SuperDutyStroke, 1badpsd, 2006.1f250, 250HD, 389SixPack, 6.0cj7, 90ranajo, 96centurion, 97PSD350, aggie, AlanB, AMB, Aric, B18B1LS1, BDS, bean, beast6.0, Biffracing20, Big K, BigBlackSooter00, BINGS6.0, blackstroke33, Blowby, BMac, BrianC, BUFF, casper7.3, chadow427, Charles, chris41, cjetcat, cntryguy23, CooterBrown, countryboyz04, cowboy_dan, crowz, dalpilot, darren.corbin@gmail.com, dblamp, DcMoore999, Deputydog, Dieselfever, dixieland-diesels, DozerDan, Dr. Dezel, Dusty's Diesel, dwc032, DZL JIM, dzljon, early 99 7.3, ELKHUNTER, farmboy8201, fbilly420, Firedogbme, ford97, FORDTRANSTECH, fuekear, fuzzys69, gfaststroker, glasseater, golfer, Got Diesel, Gregch, Harohunter, highfive, HiVoltage, Hobo-Stew, Holleran, Hornsby, Hoss, HotRodTractor, hpprose, idk, imelmo, Imjosh, InnovativeDiesel, JAKE, jake4747, Java, jello, Jngreen, joebob3093, jonathan734, JonFord, jonnysteals, Jwalker1288, kainers, Kevinwatts, kingranch1, krankin, kymudder, LT313, lubeowner, LvTitan, mad_matt, makaveli200369, mandkole, Martin #6, matthewd11, mattr66, mattymx, Mayday, mech2161, mflores, moore20017.3, moremph, morepower02, MotleyCrueCab, NGHTRGR, nitrogen, NyCowboy87, ole_blu, Orezona, outlaw6oh, ParkerFly, PGreenSVT, PHPDiesel, Pipewhiner, pontiacross, powerjunky, Powerstroke Racer, PowerstrokeJunkie, powerstrokeracing, powertrip, PSDfan99, psdmike, PSDNUTS, PSDTECH97, Redfish, Redneck6.0L, redracer62, RedSmokey, Reubine, rickey1172, Rodknocker, rpm-inc, RSieck, RSP, Saber123316, SAK, SamW, Santa Gertrudis, savvy1, saw4sun, scarlet_nape, Shadow, Shaw, silverslug, sled hauler, slowleak, smokyred, smorris, star73, Stites02psd, stonecold108, Strictly Diesel, STROKIN N STYLE, strokin20, strokin_hard, superdutyfarmer, tank, tank23, thedieselkid, theSLEEPER, Tim @ P.I.S., Tinscout, tkdbf350, tlflow, TrailerHauler, Turbo99, twstmup, UNCOOL, UNLIMITED_DIESEL, VanAackenBrosRacing, vapstroke, waynej, white07psd, WHITEDIESEL23, whitestroke, william_04_x, winkfab