Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Common Rail 7.3 Conversion

10K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  mad_matt 
#1 ·
I am in the early stages of the long process of building a pulling/drag motor. I am still in the phase where everything looks good on paper. So it might be a pipe dream still.

I am trying to locate a Duramax motor to retrofit the Bosch ECU, injectors and CPS to a 7.3 PSD. I thought about using a 6.4 system, but the Duramax will be more readily available at this point in time.

I know I have seen some thought on the injector length difference between the different series on DM motors. There is a difference in injector lengths with one being more accaptable in length to fit our heads.

I am still investing money into the HEUI system for the red truck, but I want to do one a little more extreme for next year. Mechanical injection I considered pretty hard, but the cost will be equal to more than what I'm thinking the CR will end up.

Has anyone else tried this? Lets hear some thoughts on it.

#5 ·
The piston bowl is largely irrelevant to what I'm asking. I'm talking about the fact that the injector is meant to sit 90 degrees to the piston face in a 4v head, and will have to sit at an angle off to the side of the piston in a 7.3 head.

With the same nozzle it will be spraying the middle of the bowl and the opposite wall.

:shrug:

#9 ·
That might be why the ones doing fuel system conversions have gone mechanical, not common rail.

#6 ·
My question to the guys doing this is: Do you think its really worth it ?

For the amount of money for all the custom machine work for a extra few hundred HP........

For the price you could just as easily put a CR 5.9 in it......

Im all for advance on the 7.3 but this seems like a rediculous amount of time and money........Whats DOT got into his motor 100,000 $ ?

#11 ·
im working on it, simmer down. hoping to have a kit together by next summer, we'll see how it goes. goal is to stay under 10k

#28 ·
they do sit at a little bit of an angle as well.
you can see the injector hole in this picture but they are kind of covered up but the exhaust manifold gasket, sorry

Kegger at Jason's.

:redspotdance:
I do love a good kegger,
name the date and I'll be there

#22 ·
Charles, I went to the shop today and looked at my heads in process. I never realized the daNm injectors were angled into the heads. I guess someone smarter than me will have to figure out a nozzle configuration for the conversion. I wonder if I could get blank tipped duramax injectors and have them EH'd or EDM'd out to the correct angles?

#33 ·
If you can machine the head to accommodate an existing nozzle I think you'd be ahead of the game. There are not many places in the aftermarket that have EDM equipment precise enough to punch new holes with the repeatability and accuracy I'd like to see. The stuff that the fuel system OEM's use make what is seen at even high end fuel shops seem affordable for the kids Christmas presents.

You can't EH blank tipped injectors, you gotta have a hole to flow thru first :D

Well, unless you just want to make the nozzle walls thinner? Then they'll be lighter and the truck will go FASTer.

#23 ·
I think just about all 2v heads are done this way. There's just not enough room to fit both valves with a nozzle in between. If there were, you should have run bigger valves.

The 4v heads will always have a perfect little spot between all the valves for the nozzle. So the 4v engines have injectors that sit straight up 90 degrees to the piston face with a centered bowl.

#24 ·
instead of converting a psd to a mechanical setup could you p pump an old 7.3 idi???

#34 ·
Hogging the head out to sit the injector in straight isn't the problem...... Its all the junk that the injector hits when you put it in at the correct angle.....

Teaser image out of Solidworks from February 2007....

Hmmmm looks a lot like an LBZ injector... there is a lot more stuff in that folder other than this :D :poke:

#37 ·
Jason if you have a get-together let me know! :ford:

All this talk of CR brings up a question: Where will you mount the rail? Or will you use the HPO rail?

Dave

#39 ·
You could use a drill sure, but that would just be the start. That process would require a lot of additional work to make an acceptable nozzle, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.