Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Latest Inductive Heating Flash for '03 ??? '04 strategy compatible??? Mileage???

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  darsey715 
#1 ·
I'm still kicking around the idea of getting the latest flash for my '03. I currently have VXAP1 which was the recall flash in the summer of '03. I get 16.5mpg running 65mph with a 4" lift and 35s.

I'd like to get the inductive heating flash to help with cold starts, what is the latest strategy code with inductive heating for '03? Also, did anyone notice mileage loss with the latest strategy?

Finally, I have heard that you can flash the '04 strategies to an '03 and get rid of the multiple fueling tables and other trash that the '03 strategies have, anyone have information on this?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Re: Latest Inductive Heating Flash for '03 ??? '04 strategy compatible??? Mileage??

the new stratigy along with heating the coils for the injectors, also does away with the ebp sensor as a major input (on the 6.0s with the rear mounted icp) and then relys on the maf sensor for input when it used to be useless to an extent. you then have to go through a vgt "learn" process so that the pcm will be happy and alow for the proper boost levels. fuel mileage, according to my customers, has dropped from around 15-16 to 12-13. i have learned that after programming if you baby the driving habits fuel mileage won't decrease as bad. once programed there is no going back. I have been seeing a run of bad ficms recently that is believed to be the cause of the heating stratigy.

as far as programing a 04 to an 03 i am unaware of this but the early 04 and 03 are pretty near the same.

#4 ·
Re: Latest Inductive Heating Flash for '03 ??? '04 strategy compatible??? Mileage??

fuel mileage, according to my customers, has dropped from around 15-16 to 12-13. i have learned that after programming if you baby the driving habits EDIT for the first few hundred milesfuel mileage won't decrease as bad.
if the last flash you had was in the summer of 03 the you don't have the inferred ebp program. it was released in april of 2006 under recall 06e17 to delete operation of the ebp, so if you go in now to have your computer updated then it will include that program along with it. the fsa does say certain vehicles and it doesn't appear to have expired. call your local dealer or run an oasis report it should show any open fsa's

#3 ·

I thought the VXAP1 strategy already gets rid of the EBP sensor input. Interesting about the inductive heating possibly burning out the FICM...

#6 ·

Heh, I just checked my Oasis report again and it DOES have the 06e17 recall done to it. They did it when they replaced the ICP sensor in July '06. I guess I missed that one somehow... I believe this is still before the buzz flash and definitely before the inductive heating flash... it runs pretty sad when cold.

#7 ·

you are correct the post cycle buzz came out around oct. of 06 and the inductive heating was released feb of 07

#9 ·

I have the inductive heating flash. I haven't seen any nocticable changes to fuel consumption from any previous flashes.

I had the shutdown buzz before this one and that one really worked the batteries (50A for 5 seconds). Not as big a deal if you drive a fair bit between starting and shutting down, but short trips are harsh.

I have had the pre-start inductive heating flash for a while now (about 1/2 year after it was released). I had my FICM replaced this past summer and my mechanic said there might be a correlation between the IH flash and FICMs wearing out.

#10 ·

I didn't notice a difference in power or mileage after I had the inductive heating flash done. I only noticed that my truck would actually start when it was cold outside. Apparently my stiction problem was worst case. Still not great, but at least the truck cranks.

Justin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.