Glow plug control module - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:14 PM
FSJPat
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Glow plug control module

I have been getting glow plug codes for 3 and 4 for awhile, so I replaced all the glow plugs (I used motorcraft plugs). I am getting codes for 3 and 4 again,. I pulled everything apart again and made sure that all the connections were tight (I'm also getting a lot of noise through the stereo since the replacement).

My truck is a California truck, so it has a module for the glow plugs instead of a relay. Could the codes and noise be a sign that the module is going bad?
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 01:45 AM
Justin@DP-Tuner
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

Re: Glow plug control module

Have you checked/replaced the UVCH?
Like us on Facebook!
828-221-0076 ext.804
justin@dp-tuner.com
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Old 03-03-2013, 05:23 AM
sho669
Horsepower Enthusiast
Member's Gallery

Yes the module can go bad, replace them pretty often.

I always measure the ohms of each glow plug by disconecting the harness above the valve cover and testing the pins (outer two on either side of the connector). Should see about an ohm of resistance, if you have one thats way off (higher) then thats your issue. This also rules out UVCH issues since the readings will be higher if the plug is backed out.

If you resistances are good then you have a bad module.

00 CCSB, ZF6, 2WD. RIP 1-22-12

06 Mitsubishi Evolution IX SSL, LR 2.0, TS EFR9180, E85, 4 slicks and a chute...maybe some other stuff

69 Camaro, awaiting turbo LSX and chassis work
Old 03-03-2013, 07:38 PM
FSJPat
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner View Post
Have you checked/replaced the UVCH?
I looked at it when I pulled the valve covers off, nothing seemed wrong with it. I will probably check that next after the module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho669 View Post
Yes the module can go bad, replace them pretty often.

I always measure the ohms of each glow plug by disconecting the harness above the valve cover and testing the pins (outer two on either side of the connector). Should see about an ohm of resistance, if you have one thats way off (higher) then thats your issue. This also rules out UVCH issues since the readings will be higher if the plug is backed out.

If you resistances are good then you have a bad module.
I'll give that a shot next. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:26 PM
FSJPat
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

So I finally got a chance to check things out again. I tested the resistance of the pins in the connector on the valve cover, got 4 ohms for each of the glow plugs. Brand new plugs, don't think that is the problem. I think the 4 ohms is from my cheap meter and not being able to get a good connection on the pin. They were all consistent, though.

Tested the harness that plugs into the connector with the key on, got 11.9 volts at each one, so I think the GPCM is good.

I think at this point my UVCH is the problem, something is not making a good connection. Am I right in my thinking?

So my next step is ordering new UVCHs. Should I replace the valve cover gaskets along with the harnesses (they don't leak)?
Old 03-31-2013, 04:24 PM
jtgf250
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

They are your gasket. Shouldnt leak. Make sure your grounds are good also if getting static on your radio. 4 ohms doesnt sound good to me and .5v loss is enough for them to not work. I havent messed with a cali truck so not sure about the module and how it hooks up.
6" lift on 20x10s and 37s, studded, deleted, Powermax and Livewire with Quicktricks tunes, exhaust, intake (Wife's Truck)

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 48
02f300, 444-4D, 96rclb, Big Bird, bigb, Biscayne, BlkNTan, BradleyStuart, bushhogger, C5dad, cleatus, co04cobra, cpdad93, curb guy, dieselmandustin, Dirtyboy82, firedude26, FSJPat, Garydmundy, ghohouston, hunter scar, hydro man, InmatesRunThePlace, jaybuller, johnrhodes, jopes, JSchuricht, jtgf250, Justin@DP-Tuner, KellyC, Lawn Jockey, leoneo01, miller45103, No Regrets, Northcountrywood, northid710, salprofish, sho669, sinnful_46534, slippydaman, tbirdscott, thecrazyhorse, theron1128, thetechie01, turborangerdude, Yotalac, z_racing14