Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Truck died

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  fuzzys69 
#1 ·
My brother in laws, 04 6.0 just died today. we were driving it down the road and it just died. tried to restart it, and it wouldnt start. I let it sit for about 15-20mins and then tried it again. it started right up then sputtered and died(lots of white smoke). What could this be?? i was thinking ICP, but mine just went and i had no smoke.
I just did new head gaskets and stud on it about 2000miles ago. Maybe its a split O-ring on the injectors? I dont have the right key for the scanner so i can use that to find out.(snapon says a week till they can get the right key).
Thanks
Fuzzy

#2 ·
could be the high press oil system, but like you say you need a scanner to monitor the icp. for some reason i have been seeing a run on bad ficms here at the shop. a easy way to check is turn the key on you should hear the injectors cycle on for a few seconds then turn off. if not probably bad ficm. its something to check till you get your scanner. is he still under factory warranty? 5 year 100k miles.

#3 ·
The 6.0's have also had a problem with the clip that hold the HPO lines to the head.
These can give out and cause the exact same problem.

#6 ·
The o-rings on the injector are to contain fuel and have nothing to do with the HPO system. Do you have diesel in your oil??

I believe that year the branch tube adapter uses a quick connect fitting that has an o-ring inside that fails pretty often and will cause symtoms like you are describing, ford has an updated branch tube adapter that eliminated this problem. but you really need a scanner to monitor ICP before doing anything.

#5 ·
I wouldn't think that would cause the engine to die. Atleast not with out some kinda warning or other signs.

Did you get a chance to scan the truck? Also, what snapon scanner do you have?

Snap-on told me the same thing about needing a different key(And I have all of them for my MTG2500 with all the updates) and it turns out that it will not scan a 6.0. Fortunatly I have a 7.3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.